Step up transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I got to look for this, I've only ever seen it done by accident, and done by accident it was all kinda wrong, but there were still 3 phases there

Attachments

• open wye.JPG
    open wye.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Doesn't seem funny to me.
Given that there are three different phase angles involved I just don't see how it could reasonably described as single phase.

Because here in the USA electricians refer to it as single phase so much it creates a form of psychosis I guess.

Like when people lie to you a lot, I think the term for it is "Gaslighting"

Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse in which false information is presented with the intent of making a victim doubt his or her ownmemory and perception. It may simply be the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents ever occurred, or it could be the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Joethemechanic

Occupation
So what are we supposed to call it while working in the field? If we call it anything other than single phase, nobody will know what we are talking about, and then we will get looked at like we don't know what we are talking about.

We need a term for it that can be used with the Oompa-Loompas and in the supply house.

nameme.jpg

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It does makes sense guys. Of course.
But I do find it strange that I have never had the opportunity to provide a load center of panelboard that would be ordered as such knowing that one labeled for 120/240 could be applied as such.
For some reason I have never had any oportutities for inquiries regarding 120/208 1ph3w.

Thanks for pointed that out.

You most likely have supplied equipment for these services. Very few, if any, residential multi-meter centers rated over 1200A are not '3-phase in and 1-phase out'.

templdl

I probable have Jim but the darned thing may have been few and far between. I've read a lot of one lives and can't ever remember discovering one there. But, I certainly agree that it is a logical means of distribution. To be able to use the 1ph 208 would be of concern since it is more common to see 1ph 240 devices. 208 may be used for lighting I would suppose.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I probable have Jim but the darned thing may have been few and far between. I've read a lot of one lives and can't ever remember discovering one there. But, I certainly agree that it is a logical means of distribution. To be able to use the 1ph 208 would be of concern since it is more common to see 1ph 240 devices. 208 may be used for lighting I would suppose.
In residential there is little 240V equipment that would not run at 208V. In fact most residential heating equipment, like ranges and water heaters, often have adjustments to their thermostats to accomodate the lower heat output. Devices with motors, like air conditioning and pumps, are available with 208-230/240V ratings.

ZZDoug

Interesting that the OP seems to have disappeared. My guess is that what he was describing as a "service" is most likely just a subpanel from an actual 3 phase service.

Status
Not open for further replies.