Stereo in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

I've put a few stereos in bathrooms before. Now I have a GC who's building the concept into a show room as a purchasable item.

There are more than a few issues that come to mind for me. I'm wondering what some of you guys think about it.

sandsnow

Re: Stereo in Bathroom

Wow, cool. Can I get it with a DVD player??? :cool:

The only thing I can think of is the GFCI protected recep. as far as code minimums go.

Practically I would be wondering about moisture build up with dust being attracted to the moisture inside the unit.

So, what are you thinking?

physis

Well Larry, Everything you've mentioned and a CD. Do I need DVD too now?

I want to leave some things for discussion still.

The first two I did I used a car deck because of the moisture concerns. Problem with that is the external supply.

One of the things I'm interested in is a wall mountable unit. I beleive Nutone used to make one. Can't find a reference to it.

sandsnow

I remember the OLD wholehouse units.
We have a lot of tracts wired for speakers in each room. Since I only see these on rough, I don't know what the "control' unit looks like.

I'll ask some of the tract inspectors.

peter d

Originally posted by physis:
I'm wondering what some of you guys think about it.
Wow, what is the world coming to? Stereos in bathrooms? :roll:

I think the radio in the shower is sufficient, but then again, I guess some people take the "singing in the shower" thing pretty seriously. :eek:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Don't know why you would want to put a self contained system in a bathroom with all the "whole house" systems out there. These can be as elaborate or as simple as you want and even be controlled from the bathtub. These can give you the same controllability as a dedicated system in the bathroom.

That's probably why there is nothing designed like what you are looking for, nobody would do it that way because there is no advantage to it.

-Hal

physis

Scott, I'm interested in any input. And I'm also hoping for some product leads or ideas.

Peter, for me, this isn't at the top of my list of things I need to improve my life. None the less, there are people who like the idea and want one. Still I do think it's pretty cool. Strictly my opinion, If I redid my bathroom I'd put one in.

Hal, most of what I do is associated with remodeling. The building is relatively old the room gets gutted and we start over.

I mostly want to come up with a package that eliminates redesigning the thing for every installation. For instance I use speakers that costs $100 ea. but they are good quality, handle the moisture and mount to the sheet rock in 2X4 construction (any wall or ceiling).

Here's a couple of my concerns.

Antenna. There's a good unit I use that amplifies 25 db. This things great but requires attic installation. I want to get rid of the need to use the attic.

I'm concerned about the GFI actually protecting anything past the power supply. I don't think there is an NEC concern here but I think some of you guys know how I think the whole universe should be on a GFI.

Another thing is how easy is it to use. We're trying to avoid anything that's remenicent of setting a vcr clock. 80% of the remodel market is older folks.

:)

sandsnow

Sam
The units the tracts are putting in doon't apply to your concept. All speakers are a homerun back to the entertainment center in the great room.

buena suerte

hbiss

Occupation
EC

What I'm telling you is you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Trying to adapt a car audio unit for this application makes no sense as should be obvious from the power supply and antenna requirements.

Take a look at Sonance which is just one manufacturer off the top of my head. You can assemble a system to your requirements and do the same each time if that's what you want. This stuff is made for what you are doing so you are not jury rigging something together. If I saw something like that I would have to laugh! :D

-Hal

physis

Hal, I appreeciate the idea of not reinventing the wheel. Idealy I'd like to open a box and stick it in a hole. I like the stuff on your link but, like I said, the work is usually isolated to the one room.

Jury rig, :D The car deck does make a pretty darn cool installation. And it's not cheesy, although I could easily imagine that too. But there is a lot about it I don't like.

Either way I'm completely open to better ideas.

Edit: Gracias Larry.

[ December 23, 2004, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

electricmanscott

Bose wave radio. ( I think having wave in the name implies you can bring it in the bathtub, might want to check that). Put it on a shelf and be done.

peter d

Originally posted by physis:
Peter, for me, this isn't at the top of my list of things I need to improve my life. None the less, there are people who like the idea and want one. Still I do think it's pretty cool. Strictly my opinion, If I redid my bathroom I'd put one in.
I guess I'm just sort of repulsed by all the crazy luxury items that people are demanding these days.

I live in the land of ridiculous wealth (Connecticut) so I see stuff like this all the time.

I really shouldn't complain though, because all that wealth keeps me employed. :roll:

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Peter, I'm right next door to Greenwich CT in Westchester County, NY. We have the other half of that affluence so I know what you are saying.

Electricmanscott, that's really a good idea! I'll bet that there may even be one that you can use external speakers with if you want.
So there you go Physis, everything in one box, a high end snooty name and a price tag to match. What more could those people want to impress their friends and neighbors?

-Hal

peter d

Hal,

Martha Stewart herself showed up a few times at project I worked on in Southport, CT.

We were rewiring an estate she sold and she was stopping by unanounced to see the improvements the new homeowners were making.

One time, we didn't let her in. :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by peter d:
I guess I'm just sort of repulsed by all the crazy luxury items that people are demanding these days.

I live in the land of ridiculous wealth (Connecticut) so I see stuff like this all the time.

I really shouldn't complain though, because all that wealth keeps me employed. :D (Best John Edwards impression...."There are two Americas...." :roll: :roll:

physis

I like working for the rich folks. They hardly care what you're doing or what it costs, (and you probably wouldn't be working on their building if they didn't trust you).

And poor people are stnding behind you all day (maybe that's why they're poor) looking over your shoulder to make sure nothing happens that'll cost more money, and to tell you how to do it.

peter d

Scott, I am guessing that your post is a jest. :D Also, you must be fairly young (or have young daughters) to know who Kevin Federline is. :D

Sam,

Actually, I think wealthy people are the worst people to work for. Many of them got rich by being cheap. Granted, there are a lot of wealthy people who don't care what the bill is as long as they get what they want, and they are great customers. But more often than not, they nickle and dime everything.

I'd raher work for the middle class any day of the week. You're correct about poor people. They are just as bad as many rich folks...I learned that the hard way. :mad:

[ December 24, 2004, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

physis

Peter, you're absolutely right about some rich folk. It's the Daffy Duck syndrome. MINE, MINE, MINE. These people spend so much effort making sure that none of it gets away from them that they never enjoy it. The only holes in there wallets are lead to the IRS and insurance companies. But those people are also the segment of the group who will almost never commission the kind of work I do. It's sort of self regulating. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.