Stiff pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilasman

Anybody have any suggections on how to get the joint in your nine's or other kliens loose? I like my 9's postively floppy. I have been soaking a pair of 9's and a pair of cable cutters in 5W-20 for about 2 days now and hope they will loosen up. I tried WD-40 on them first but that didn't really get them loose and after about an hour they stiffened up. My pliers aren't like really stiff. There at the point that they are just stiff enough that if use them for a little while your fore arm will start talking to you and you go looking for your looe pair...

Any suggestions/

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Re: Stiff pliers

I always use WD-40 and some real fine sand. I have to work the pliers back and forth for a little while. Hope this helps

haskindm

had a pair that were really stiff once and I used waterless hand soap. I worked it around the pivot point and it loosened them right up.

Occupation
Inspector

If you are anything like me I use my Kliens as a hammer and other tools. I have noticed that the pivot point gets tightened with time. I have opened my Kliens and straddled the "free" end across on opening with the pivot joint facing up. Then I give the pivot a good "wack" this has in the past freed up my cutters.

Norb

JES2727

Originally posted by wmeek:
I always use WD-40 and some real fine sand. I have to work the pliers back and forth for a little while. Hope this helps
I have used this technique also, and it works well.

tkb

If you are anything like me I use my Kliens as a hammer and other tools.
Didn't anyone ever tell you... "Don't hit the man on the head, you will knock him off the pole." :D ;) :p :cool: :roll:

[ October 27, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: tkb ]

celtic

I have used WD-40 or oil impregnated with grapite (for locks)...both worked very well.

I have also seen the "wack the center" technique...too bad, if the kid had listened (use oil, not force), he wouldn't have had a jammed pair of nines.

If yours are not working to your satisfaction - return them. Klien has a pretty good warranty/guarantee. Klien Warranty

...Klein products ...are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the normal life of the product.
(Don't start the debate on what it's "normal life" is)

I have been in supply houses and asked for a new screwdriver and the countermen are like "Why? Where's the old one?" When I tell them it's damaged, they say leave it here and the Klien rep will replace it...I just forget WHICH SH I left the tool in :p

mdshunk

I drop mine, nose first, on to the concrete a few times from about chest high. It normally loosens them up.

Most of the time my nine's also get tight the day after I've worked out in the rain. A little 226 fixes them up in short order.

apauling

depends how loose you want them. In the late 60's i was a rodbuster (rebar) for a while and all the rodbusters wanted the linesmen pliers drop loose, absolutely no friction. They got them wet, let them stiffen a bit, then used liquid wrench to loosen and finally oil. I still think the original formula "liquid wrench" works better than any of the other formulas for loosening.

paul

peter d

Here is something I discovered: To get a "loose" pair of pliers, you actually need to find it on the rack. Before I buy pliers, I check every one first. Believe it or not, some will be looser than others. After you select the "loose" pair, a little PB Blaster will make them positively sloppy. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.