Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I need a cut-in box for this sucker:

accessories.gif

I've been using a fiberglass two-gang cut-in, but cutting that into the concrete siding is getting old, I keep winding up with the strobe not completely covering the hole. (I know, I {inappropriate term deleted}.)

Is there a 6" deep 3" round cut-in on the market? That would be ideal. I've been toying with the idea of a metal 3" octagonal with an extension, but I think that would be as big a headache.

Any ideas?

[ April 13, 2005, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

aelectricalman

Re: Stinkin' relay!

Does it have to be flush mounted. Can it be externally mounted. Thats all I ever see anyhow. Can't you use a 2 to 1 gang conversion cover.

[ April 12, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
(I know, I {inappropriate term deleted here too}.)
That is always the first step....self realization. :D
Sorry I can not help you with the box question.

[ April 13, 2005, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

benaround

Six inches deep? George are you going all the way thru the wall to the inside of the building? If that's the case ,why can't you mount the relay,etc. inside and use a smaller box outside

frank

G

I've been toying with the idea of a metal 3" octagonal with an extension
I've done it for lighting outlets and it didn't cause me any undue difficulty. As long as the less than thee inch opening of the extension isn't a problem.

bigjohn67

Cut it in next to a stud. then Screw the box with extensions to it. Now the extensions are a little more rounded on the inside than a typical square box.

Other solution is to take the ears off a metal switch box and screw them to the 4x4. Then simply use F-clamps. this also works for octagon boxes.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Thanks for the replies (even yours, Bob). :D

The fire strobe is required on the face of the building, we cut it into the soffit of the houses to minimize the "eyesore" factor. So I have unlimited height, really. The black relay shown in the picture fills a two gang box, sideways.

I'd like to get away from the sawzall, and use a hole saw, is my thing.

Cut it in next to a stud. then Screw the box with extensions to it. Now the extensions are a little more rounded on the inside than a typical square box.
How do I find the stud in the soffit?

Then simply use F-clamps. this also works for octagon boxes.
I was thinking about that kind of route, I figured with the temperature swing outdoors, that F-strap would give up fairly quick.

Does it have to be flush mounted. Can it be externally mounted.
Chris, I am about one hack job away from switching to a bell box. :D

I think it wouldn't be too bad if I screwed the bell box to the siding on the rough, let the painters camo it. I think this would be easiest. I think I'll wind up pitching this to the GC. ;)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

George

Why don?t you mount the relay in one of the smoke detector boxes or in a separate box located in a closet? Then you could use a 3/0 cut-in for the horn-strobe.

Curt

celtic

We typically install the boxes as bigjohn67 detailed (other solution)...a deep box with/without an extension is usually enough ~ depends on device.
The ears and f-clips work well, if you are concerned about them failing how about the other type of clip with the screws (I forgot the name of them and I have a whole bag of them in the truck...OB, OBX, OCX, OC :roll: call the manufac. and ask what a typical install looks like/consists of....

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by curt swartz:
Why don?t you mount the relay in one of the smoke detector boxes or in a separate box located in a closet? Then you could use a 3/0 cut-in for the horn-strobe.
Genius! Thanks--sometimes the most obvious answers are the ones that totally escape my attention! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.