Stove Receptacles need improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

anyhow isn't there a wire bending radius rule somewhere? all I know is you have to basically make a 180 degree bend in like an inch to make it work. Something has to be done and soon

lordofthisworld

Is it just me or is hooking up a 6/3 SER or 8/3 NM to a recessed 50 amp stove outlet in a standard 2 gang wing box aggravating as hell ??? I think if they designed something with overlapping lay in lugs in the back it would be sleek and easy and there wouldn't be those aggravating 180 bends in wire while jamming them back on box.

Thoughts?

You can use a Caddy spreader bar and install a 4” Square with a 2 gang mud ring, instead of installing the mud ring up and down, install it side to side.

JFletcher

anyhow isn't there a wire bending radius rule somewhere? all I know is you have to basically make a 180 degree bend in like an inch to make it work. Something has to be done and soon

You can always set a deep metal box recessed from the stud, then use a deeper mud ring to get extra box volume and space.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We always use 4-11/16 boxes with 2 gang mud rings.

I normally form the wires into the locations of the terminals of the receptacle then cut to length. Pull the wires out of the box enough to terminate the receptacle then push the receptacle into the box. Usually there ends up being 8-10" of wire in the box.

Last week I received a phone call in the evening that the appliance installers were going to be onsite the next morning so I needed to get the range receptacle installed first thing. Supply house was the opposite direction from my house as the job site so decided to stop at HD and pay twice the price for a 14-50 receptacle.

This was the first time I have used a Leviton receptacle in many years. I didn't realize they redesigned their large receptacles so the wires enter the back instead of the side. In my opinion this makes the device much harder to install. Not only was pushing the receptacle into the box harder, I had to keep double checking the connection screws since they are not marked on the back and don't match the location of the prongs. They could at lease mark the EGC-green, neutral-silver and hots-brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.