Stranded ufer ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

I realize the grounding electrode conductor is sized to table 250 66. My foreman continually buys bare number 4 and we run about 225 feet of it for grounding meter stacks. I have worked at some companies that also run number 2 aluminum stranded for two hundred amp panels in houses. I want to get him to buy stranded number 4 rather than solid can anyone point me to a code article that specifically permits stranded wire for the ufer ground it's much easier to pull than bare. Thanks
I've also known as a lot of people misinterpret 250 53 A 3 and believe that the wire to the ufer must always be number four well when sizing is to the service entrance conductors a smaller wire is permitted I don't think a lot of people realize no smaller than number 4 refers to a bare piece of ground encased in concrete.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I realize the grounding electrode conductor is sized to table 250 66. My foreman continually buys bare number 4 and we run about 225 feet of it for grounding meter stacks. I have worked at some companies that also run number 2 aluminum stranded for two hundred amp panels in houses. I want to get him to buy stranded number 4 rather than solid can anyone point me to a code article that specifically permits stranded wire for the ufer ground it's much easier to pull than bare. Thanks
There is nothing that prohibits stranded, so it is allowed. Solid may be less expensive up front and that may be the determining factor for him.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have never used a solid conductor for the GEC as Tom stated it's not required. How much cheaper can it be to make it worth struggling with a solid copper conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.