Stranded VS Solid

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Stranded VS Solid

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogleg007

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using stranded or solid wire for 20 branch circuits in residential custom homes? Some foreman are convienced that stranded is eaiser to work with. I'm not so sure having used solid for 25 plus years. I'm always willing to listed to reason.

wireguy8169

I personally do not think it would be any easier to use , especially when it comes to switches and rec's, and I really never have. If you use solid wire for your pig tails to these devices maybe its fine, but just never have used it.

resistance

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using stranded or solid wire for 20 branch circuits in residential custom homes? Some foreman are convienced that stranded is eaiser to work with. I'm not so sure having used solid for 25 plus years. I'm always willing to listed to reason.

Depends on the size of the branch circuit conductors, and how it's being installed.
Outside of that, the below answer is the best answer in my opinion--up to the size before stranded.
Solid. It's what's in romex.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For raceways filled to near capacity stranded is the only way to go. With this new trend towards value engineering we constantly see 1" EMT's spec'd with 15-#10 solid conductors as the norm. There is no way on earth that 15 solid #10 conductors is as easy to pull in as 15 stranded #10 conductors.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Welcome to the forum .Why are you guys runing EMT AND FLEX is that a local code?

360Youth

I prefer solid over stranded in most instances, but in the case of the poll, as dictated by the OP, I have to vote solid because we use NM for homes.

hurk27

I think this is a question that has no right or wrong, because it more depends upon what is being fed, and what kind of a job it is, and what grade of devices are used.

With that said, I can not see stranded being used in a cost effective way doing a residential install, as most of us are not going to be installing industrial grade device that have the clamp type connections, and stranded would add to the labor hours on termination to devices if wrapping around the screws, now on a commercial job, using receptacles with clamp type connections this would be a whole different story, as the ease of pulling the wire would be the benefit.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Common household wires are solid for 14,12 and 10 gauge wire. 8 guage and larger wires are typically stranded. Extension cords, often 16 or 18 gauge, are also typically stranded.Stranded wires are more flexible and less likely to suffer strain if they are stretched. They are more workabl, and won't break with repeated bending. Solid wires are not intended to be coiled and uncoiled regularly and therefore, are not suibable for extension cords. They can not take the considerable bending and flexing that extension cords typically receive. Solid wire is also not suitable for overhead runs from the house to the garage, for example. Overhead wires that have to span consderable distances should be stranded, because they must be able to flex regulary. Solid wires should span no more than 4.5 to 5 feet between supports.

dogleg007

On custome homes we run conduit to give customer the edge if adds or changes happens so that little damage is done to walls and ceilings. The homes are usually at least 10k sf.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For raceways filled to near capacity stranded is the only way to go. With this new trend towards value engineering we constantly see 1" EMT's spec'd with 15-#10 solid conductors as the norm. There is no way on earth that 15 solid #10 conductors is as easy to pull in as 15 stranded #10 conductors.

What is reason that stranded is easier to pull through conduit rather than solid?? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.