strange fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I am close to doing an outdoor panel replacement which will require a shutdown so I wanted to get all my ducks lined up to prevent surprizes. Upon inspection of this bottom entry there is a 2 inch what measures to be a rigid conduit on the line side. There is what looks like a 2 inch emt fitting attached to the pipe. It is a sleeve type just like an emt with one set screw. Something I havent ever seen. this existing install was installed in around 72 or so and is close to salt water and has rusted out the panel. Anyone ever seen this type of fitting or is this an emt fitting perhaps that someone has forced onto the end of a 2 inch rigid?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: strange fitting

in the 70`s there were grounding bushings everywhere can this be a left over if it it is ,grandfathered in......

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen,
Originally posted by a.wayne3@verizon.net:
in the 70`s there were grounding bushings everywhere can this be a left over if it it is ,grandfathered in......
Huh?

Do you not use "grounding (bonding) bushings now?

The described fitting is simply a set screw ridgid connector.

Roger

stew

Thanks roger Ive "simply" never come across one.Thats why I asked I just knew there were guys out there much much smarter than I Thanks again, Joe

[ May 13, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: stew ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

First of all Joe, how does
much much smarter than I
relate?

Second, my reply should not be taken as "a smarter" person as far as me talking to a "Master Electrician".

Regardless of time in the field, these fittings are not rare in their use today, I have probably 10 to 15 ranging from 3/4" to 3" in our material cage right now.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.