Strap vs Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

heco

What is the difference between a Strap or Yoke as refered in Art 314.16.b.4.....
I did see somthing one time in a 1950 Engineers hand book?

physis

Re: Strap vs Equipment

I think it's NEC speak for either way they're treated the same so they're synonymns.

You could use a dictionary but I've only heard of one particular and specific dictionary being recognized by the NEC and I think that was only for some isolated reason.

heco

Come guy...you all can do better than that..
I need an answer for a class.....
whats the difference between a Yoke and a Strap?

russ

My guess is they put the word strap in there because the work yoke is rather antiquated, but still used by some manufacturers.

hurk27

If I remember right a yoke was the term coined for the peice of metal that we use to snap individual receptacle and switchs into. they had three openings and allowed up to three devices to be installed into eack. Strap is a newer word to describe the metal mounting part of device.

It's been along time since we have used them but thats close as I can remember. We still have a box of yokes and a few switchs and receptacles at the shop. :D

And that's no Yoke :D

[ January 09, 2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

kiloamp7

hurk - Isn't "despard" the term for those wiring devices that snap-in to the yoke?
I think catalogs will call them "interchangeable" wiring devices.

They are different than "combination" wiring devices, which are like a one-way switch & a single receptacle built on, (not snap-in) to a single strap.

Status
Not open for further replies.