strapping down ladders on racks, what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
These actually work great!

1184.jpg

http://www.kwiktwist.com/ProductInfo.html

I had something very similar, they work great (i didn't use them for ladders) but to tie up other items. The soft covering rips off after several uses.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Flat steel cable? Otherwise, how would you be able to use the ratchet/buckle?

Round steel cable. works just like the regular strap. Insert through the slot on the ratchet and start ratcheting. works great.

renosteinke

I made my 'rack' by laying a bit of strut on the truck's utility body top. I secure ladders by using strut straps. I modified some 3- and 4-inch strut straps by making them flat, and replacing the nut with a wing nut.

Yes, after several years, there is some cosmetic wear to the ladders from this arrangement.

You also want to be sure to seal the penetrations where the strut anchors; a surprising amount of water will enter the cargo area if you do not.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I will have to look into those, the website says Lowes or Tractor Supply sells them, we have both around here.

Lowes has them once in a while. That's where I get them. When I see the display, I usually grab a couple.

Eventually the foam wears off. I think you get 2 for about 7 bucks. By evenutally, it takes a couple rough seasons chew them up that bad. They are fast and I've never seen one even try to come loose.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Lowes has them once in a while. That's where I get them. When I see the display, I usually grab a couple.

Eventually the foam wears off. I think you get 2 for about 7 bucks. By evenutally, it takes a couple rough seasons chew them up that bad. They are fast and I've never seen one even try to come loose.

Yeah, I could not find them on Lowes website, but did find them on Tractor Supply's web site.

dhalleron

I have been using this Master Lock 3/8 in. x 6 ft. Python Vinyl Coated Adjustable Locking Cable the last couple years to hold down my extension ladder:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203285197/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cable+lock&storeId=10051#.UKEi_eQ8CSo

A large local electrical contractor has been using rope to tie their ladders down since at least the 1980's. My nephew owns a vinyl siding business and he uses rope to hold down his ladders, walk boards and metal brake. I can't tie a knot.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Thats what the romex is for! I leave it dangling down over the mounting bracket of the rack. Obvious on the drivers side. I leave the passenger side longer and let it hang a bit lower, you can easily see it in the mirror. Ever since I had my oh crap moment this strategy has not failed. me

I do the same thing so it's VERY OBVIOUS the ladder hasn't been tied off yet. I also tie them off like MJF does right away, I've also lost a ladder when I've gotten sidetracked and forgot to tie it off.

JES2727

My insurance agent advised me that romex or bungees are not legal and therefor can cause quite a hassle with the insurance companies if ever there's a claim involving the ladders. I went to HD and bought some straps.
But I used to have one of these, and I liked it a lot:

1583D.JPG

renosteinke

Not legal?

I'm all in favor of securing ladders properly ....

Just what did the insurance company mean by 'not legal?' That suggests that somewhere there is some reference that tells us what is a proper way to secure a ladder.

Could your agent provide us with some better guidance?

480sparky

I use a ladder rack that has the brackets & locks so I don't need to use bungee cords / steel ropes / scraps of NM.

D7K_8043.jpg

D7K_8042.jpg

Yeah, they cost more than just Plain Jane bar-style racks, but they pay for themselves.

nhfire77

Not legal?

I'm all in favor of securing ladders properly ....

Just what did the insurance company mean by 'not legal?' That suggests that somewhere there is some reference that tells us what is a proper way to secure a ladder.

Could your agent provide us with some better guidance?

I assume its the 'common sense clause' A reasonable person known or should have known securing a load to a moving vehicle should be done in an 'acceptable' manner. IE Some bungie cords state not to use them as the primary method of securing a load. If you ignore the instructions, you were 'negilgent'

A ratchet strap has instructions and a rated load. Look at it through the eye's of the insurance company's lawyer: can we deny this claim based on the policy's fine print or, in the case of the ratchet strap, spread the blame to the strap maker too?

Of course, if nothing happens and insurnace company doesnt inspect, then it doesn't matter what you use. I recognize this is all relative.

GUNNING

Banjo music and the clampets

Banjo music and the clampets

WeatherGuard with the red plastic coated handle you can see if your ladders are not tied down, or missing, because you can see the red handle in your mirror. Fast, easy, legal, and secure. You wont loose your business because the ladder went through the window of the gal behind you. It is also a good image instead of the ladders being tied down with,wire; like the Clampets came to town. Unless that is your business model then feel free to get a horn with banjo music.
b3f159d0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.