Street light dimming options

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh

What are the options for dimming a street light.

I know there is the option of using a two way communication system to control each light individually and perform dimming this way.
Is there an option to install a standalone photocell which has a user programmable dimming cycle built in? Something where you can program a dimming cycle and just plug it into the photocell receptacle with no need for any communication infrastructure.

I haven't been able to find this online however I would think such a product would be very useful and profitable.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What are the options for dimming a street light.

I know there is the option of using a two way communication system to control each light individually and perform dimming this way.
Is there an option to install a standalone photocell which has a user programmable dimming cycle built in? Something where you can program a dimming cycle and just plug it into the photocell receptacle with no need for any communication infrastructure.

I haven't been able to find this online however I would think such a product would be very useful and profitable.

If the installation is properly designed you shouldn't be dimming it. There are standards for the minimum illumination required at ground level. And why is anyone entertaining the dimming of public lighting anyway? Who's going to pick the "right" level?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the installation is properly designed you shouldn't be dimming it. There are standards for the minimum illumination required at ground level. And why is anyone entertaining the dimming of public lighting anyway? Who's going to pick the "right" level?
Some cities, particularly those anywhere close to an astronomical observatory, are investing in LED type lighting which can be dimmed. The ability to use only the minimum light level required for particular time and weather conditions can save energy and reduce sky glow that interferes with optical telescopes.
How the desirable light level gets calculated is something I have not researched.

Rampage_Rick

Any dimming system you'll find will likely only work on LED lights. I'm not familiar with any system to dim sodium or metal halide lighting, as manipulating the voltage at the photocell would simply annoy the ballast. LED streetlight manufacturers probably have dimming systems that integrate into their own lights, as they are probably tolerant of fluctuating voltage (up to a point)

I've seen such a system in Prince Rupert where they've converted the whole town to networked dimmable LEDs from LED Roadway Lighting. I've also seen networked HPS cobraheads along the Trans-Canada highway in Langley, but I'm quite certain these have no dimming abilities.

kwired

Electron manager
Near where I grew up, the popular dimming method, which I do not recommend, was a .30-06. Generally street lights are properly controlled by a photocell.
Same here;)

I do agree that roadway lighting generally is going to require a minimum lighting level and if designed accordingly why would you have a need to dim it? Places with energy codes probably won't allow you to exceed certain levels either still making the dimmer somewhat unnecessary.

mgookin

Dimming of outdoor lights is more common than has been discussed on this thread.

Some countries don't have power 24/7; there are no minimum light levels and they want to "stretch" all the power they can. In Haiti, for example, many areas only get power for an hour per day and it's not the same time each day.

Some places have ordinances regarding outdoor lighting, there are eagle nesting areas, sea turtles laying eggs a certain time of the year, observatories as golddigger speaks of (we have that same issue at the university here), parks where you want some lighting at night without blinding the neighbors, and many other valid reasons to dim outdoor lights. One city near here even outlaws outdoor lights altogether (Sanibel, FL).

We are a manufacturer of outdoor controls and we've been asked for dimmers by some of our larger customers. It's not something we presently offer but it is something we've been working on.

As with indoor dimmers, outdoor dimmers need to be compatible with the lighting technology you are using.

kwired

Electron manager
Dimming outdoor lighting is understandable if you have a reason to vary the light output.

If you want a fixed lighting level and otherwise simple on or off, then why use dimmers when what you really need is proper luminaires and proper placement?

mgookin

There is a national standard with prescriptive light levels (ANSI C136.10 American National Standard for Roadway and Outdoor Area Lighting) but there is no statutory requirement to illuminate roadways.

There's also plenty of outdoor lighting that is not roadway lighting. Landscape lighting, signs, fountains, beacon lights, parking lots, walking paths, architectural lighting, etc... There are no prescriptive light levels for any of that lighting aside from owner specifications if they exist.

north star

( - - - + - - - )

" ...There's also plenty of outdoor lighting that is not roadway lighting. Landscape lighting, signs, fountains, beacon lights, parking lots, walking paths, architectural lighting, etc... There are no prescriptive light levels for any of that lighting aside from owner specifications if they exist."
I respectfully disagree !.......If the International Building Code [ IBC ] is adopted
in a jurisdiction, then Section 1005.4 & Section 1006 [ <--- `12 IBC ] will
require a minimum of 1 foot candle of illumination all the way to the Public Way.

( - - - + - - - )

mgookin

( - - - + - - - )

I respectfully disagree !.......If the International Building Code [ IBC ] is adopted
in a jurisdiction, then Section 1005.4 & Section 1006 [ <--- `12 IBC ] will
require a minimum of 1 foot candle of illumination all the way to the Public Way.

( - - - + - - - )

That's .000000001% of outdoor lights. Don't worry - you'll have your 1fc.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Adaptive lighting is the next frontier for street lighting. There is no need to have the lights a 100% all the time. Its been a topic at the annual street and area lighting conference going back many years. A presentation by CA DOT suggested they would dim exit ramps and then use vehicle detection to bring them back up.
Most street lighting is brighter than required, esp HPS as its designed for end of life with depreciation built in, so its perhaps 120% brighter to begin with. With LED you can easily set the level and adust as the source depreciates over time

As far as who is going to pick the right level? The IES is working on standards.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There are LED pole lights with bi-level switching. You can basically run two outputs from a time clock to a group of lights, and program different on, off, and half-on times.

You can also get LED pole lights with motion sensors. They can override the off or half-on settings when they detect a person or a vehicle.

Besoeker

It's an interesting topic and one that has been raised here in UK.
In straightened economic circumstances public authorities are looking at ways of reducing expenditure.
Street lighting is one such area.
Do we really need street lights to be on from dusk until dawn? Who will be out and about at 03:00?

mgookin

It's an interesting topic and one that has been raised here in UK.
In straightened economic circumstances public authorities are looking at ways of reducing expenditure.
Street lighting is one such area.
Do we really need street lights to be on from dusk until dawn? Who will be out and about at 03:00?

Besoeker:

The GM of outdoor controls from one of the big 3 lighting companies came to visit our factory and said there are cities in Europe where there is a dedicated grid for outdoor lighting, and they will switch an entire city on just 2 photocontrols. Do you know what cities he might have been talking about?

We have a dimmer in product development but it will be at least Q4 2014 before it hits the market.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In CA the new Energy code that goes into service next month requires adaptive lighting and also bi level , and motion sensors for parking lots and other outdoor areas.
CA code is supposidly based on the ASHRE 90.1 2010 standards!
Many other States use these codes. Maybe not the 2010 version. The 2010 is the national standard as of Aug 2013.
So this stuff is comming to a jurisdiction near you.
Did you think the incandescent was going to be banned? Well look on the shelves.

FYI:
On October 18, 2013, all states were required by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to put in place a commercial building energy code at least as stringent as the 2010 version of the ASHRAE/IES 90.1 energy standard.
Eight states are in compliance as of October 2013. States are expected to adopt 90.1-2010 in whole or in part; adopt the 2012 version of the International Energy Conservation Code (which references 90.1 as an alternate compliance standard); or, like California, develop their own unique code. :rant: Happy lighting to Yall.

mgookin

In CA the new Energy code that goes into service next month requires adaptive lighting and also bi level , and motion sensors for parking lots and other outdoor areas.
CA code is supposidly based on the ASHRE 90.1 2010 standards!
Many other States use these codes. Maybe not the 2010 version. The 2010 is the national standard as of Aug 2013.
So this stuff is comming to a jurisdiction near you.
Did you think the incandescent was going to be banned? Well look on the shelves.

FYI:
On October 18, 2013, all states were required by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to put in place a commercial building energy code at least as stringent as the 2010 version of the ASHRAE/IES 90.1 energy standard.
Eight states are in compliance as of October 2013. States are expected to adopt 90.1-2010 in whole or in part; adopt the 2012 version of the International Energy Conservation Code (which references 90.1 as an alternate compliance standard); or, like California, develop their own unique code. :rant: Happy lighting to Yall.

How do they define "adaptive lighting"?

Status
Not open for further replies.