Street Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

the blur

Residential street lighting. HID's on top of 8 foot poles. I watched a crew install some. There is no ground, they just grab a secondary, and a netural, and drop them down a pole, using direct bury wire, no ground, no service entrance, no fuse, no protection. no metering, no nothing.

How do they get away with it ?
What if something shorts out?

the blur

That explains it better than I ever could. Except in my neighborhood, there is no meter, no service entrance, no ground. They just grab a secondary and a neutral off the POT, and away they go.

If fact, they use the virbrating machine to drag the wires through the ground. I know some lawn sprinkler guy will eventually hit one of those UG feeds, as they are not deep enough.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That explains it better than I ever could. Except in my neighborhood, there is no meter, no service entrance, no ground. They just grab a secondary and a neutral off the POT, and away they go.

If fact, they use the virbrating machine to drag the wires through the ground. I know some lawn sprinkler guy will eventually hit one of those UG feeds, as they are not deep enough.

They need to be at least 18" to meet with NESC.

Status
Not open for further replies.