strength of threaded rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. Especially the first one. I'm usung 2x10 x12 pt Douglas fir on each side. From what I've read they'll support an open span of about1200lbs a piece. So my threaded rod will likely be stronger than the 2400lb limit on each side.

Yes, Garnier limb or Tab bolts are extremely expensive, this is a cheap alternative capitalizing on the fact that load is divided between 4 trees.

I've already got this thing mostly built. Just having some second thoughts about loading.

As far as threaded rod: Although I didn't get a definitive answer, I feel confident it will withstand the loads it should see. That is, it was answered to my satisfaction.

​​​​​Thank you all for the great advice, I have learned a few things.

I will open another thread under fireside chat and post some pictures if anyone is interested.

I feel this is getting too off topic to continue here.

Regards

That is really cool. I always wanted to build a nice tree house. Its on my list. I have done quite a bit of work in trees building rope swings. Sometimes you need something more elaborate than just throwing a rope over a branch, and often a take off platform needs to be built. Here is me on one of my creations doing a double back flip. It took some pain to get that one down :dunce: Alas the war on fun gustapo cut the tree down after a few years. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn6_HTUY4_I

S'mise

That is really cool. I always wanted to build a nice tree house. Its on my list. I have done quite a bit of work in trees building rope swings. Sometimes you need something more elaborate than just throwing a rope over a branch, and often a take off platform needs to be built. Here is me on one of my creations doing a double back flip. It took some pain to get that one down :dunce: Alas the war on fun gustapo cut the tree down
Yes, hope the kids play in it when its done.

Wow, what a hoot that must have been.

Too bad all the fun stuff is on the dangerous side.

__dan

Through pipe in 3/4" size with the horizontal pt planks riding on the pipe was a great suggestion. Pipe could hold the shear load and not worry too much about the bending within that range.

Those pro tree and limb bolts allow for tree growth by a lot, and movement, which is going to happen. Tree growth alone could displace the planks by 2" so the attachment method design should allow for that. The 5/8" threaded rod, when it is loaded by bending, the threads focus the material stress into the thread as a crack rather than around it like rod with no cracks, so either the rod would have to go up a lot in size to assure no bending or the joint design could assure no bending load on the rod.

The trees are going to move a lot in 60 mph winds. There may be a way to design the attachment or joint to allow inches of movement and huge torque and twisting force, and settle back to the normal static case without damage to the joint.

The limb bolts appear to just dowel the tree and let the dowels move with the tree. I would try to copy their design.

Status
Not open for further replies.