Strike Lock Interface to Fire Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdbutler

This may not be the forum for this topic, but some of you may have run into a similar situation. Most people know that during a fire alarm the access controlled egress doors must unlock. This is a requrement of 2006 International Building Code (IBC) Chapter 10, section 1008.1.3.4.

The code requres that "...(exit doors) be installed in accordance with all of the following criterea:"

(I will paraphrase a bit for brevity)

1. A sensor that will unlock the door automatically when an occupant approaches the door.

2. Loss of power unlocks the door automatically.

3. A "PUSH TO EXIT" button provides a 'direct interruption of power to the lock'...

4. Fire Alarm causes door to unlock.

5. Sprinkler System causes door to unlock.

6. Occupancy groups A, B, E and M leaves door unlocked during business hours.

Now the question:
What about electric strike locks that require power to unlock (Fail-Secure)? They typically have a door handle or knob that can always be turned manually like any other door in order to exit the building.

The code doesn't seem to address the case of Fail-Secure devices. The language of this code would seem to require the use of Fail-Safe strike locks which have a constant power applied when locked and a loss of power will unlock the door.

In my experience Fail-Safe strike locks are expensive and wear out faster than Fail-Secure strike locks and this code seems to burden the customer unecessarily.

Has anyone else approached this problem and how did you resolve it with the local authority and the customer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iwire

Staff member
rdbutler said:
Now the question:
What about electric strike locks that require power to unlock (Fail-Secure)?

In my opinion, given the rules you cited, particularly

Loss of power unlocks the door automatically

and

A "PUSH TO EXIT" button provides a 'direct interruption of power to the lock'...

fail secure locks can not be used.

If we are talking about legally required exits there is no way you could allow them to fail secure.

jrdsg

here's another wrinkle

here's another wrinkle

fire-rated doors which are part of a rated fire separation are supposed to latch [not necessarily lock] when they close to ensure maintenance of the fire rating. a fail-safe latch does not latch the door on loss of power, and is therefore a problem for the fire separation.

also, cutting in a door strike in a fire-rated door frame voids the label on the frame.

many jurisdictions are so paranoid about the installation of magnetic locks [which install easily in parallel with manual door hardware] that electric door strike installations are increasingly common. this is, in my view, a catch-22.

what is a security guy to do?

DUCKMAN

jrdsg said:
fire-rated doors which are part of a rated fire separation are supposed to latch [not necessarily lock] when they close to ensure maintenance of the fire rating. a fail-safe latch does not latch the door on loss of power, and is therefore a problem for the fire separation.

also, cutting in a door strike in a fire-rated door frame voids the label on the frame.

many jurisdictions are so paranoid about the installation of magnetic locks [which install easily in parallel with manual door hardware] that electric door strike installations are increasingly common. this is, in my view, a catch-22.

what is a security guy to do?

My solution is to install fail safe electrified mortise locks. This meets the egress requirement, and keeps the door firmly latched to meet the fire barrier requirement. Plus as an added bonus, the electricified mortise locks are a much more secure choice than an electric strike.

jrdsg

good choice, but...

good choice, but...

duckman is right about the utility of electrified mortise locks where they are practical, but their use is limited in retrofit situations. they are also orders of magnitude more expensive than electric door strikes or mag locks.

ron

Feel free to use fail safe electric strikes to maintain a fire rated door. Be sure that the handle retracts the latch in the path of egress. Then you don't care whether the strike is safe or secure or even connected to the fire alarm relay because it is always unlocked in the path of egress.
If the secured side is in the path of egress and the door requires a fire rating, then you have trouble and will need to use an electrified lockset (as mentioned in previous post) or an old fashioned mag lock.

DUCKMAN

Retrofit

Retrofit

jrdsg said:
duckman is right about the utility of electrified mortise locks where they are practical, but their use is limited in retrofit situations. they are also orders of magnitude more expensive than electric door strikes or mag locks.

In that case, I use an electrified cylindrical lock. There is an issue with core drilling the door for the wiring, but IMHO it is less of an issue than having the door not latch. If you want to truly meet the code and not violate the listing, the only way would be to R&R the door.

DUCKMAN

Path of egress

Path of egress

ron said:
Feel free to use fail safe electric strikes to maintain a fire rated door. Be sure that the handle retracts the latch in the path of egress. Then you don't care whether the strike is safe or secure or even connected to the fire alarm relay because it is always unlocked in the path of egress.
If the secured side is in the path of egress and the door requires a fire rating, then you have trouble and will need to use an electrified lockset (as mentioned in previous post) or an old fashioned mag lock.

In Massachusetts, that will not fly. Unfortuately, the code states the exit will unlock. It does not specify in the path of egress, so it is interpreted to be both directions. I have run into this issue many times, with many variations, as I primarily install electronic access systems.

ron

Duckman,
If it requires the door to unlock in every direction, even if it is not in the path of egress, seems unusual.
A regular building key locking system can't do that, I wonder why they penalize an access control system.

DUCKMAN

Direction

Direction

ron said:
Duckman,
If it requires the door to unlock in every direction, even if it is not in the path of egress, seems unusual.
A regular building key locking system can't do that, I wonder why they penalize an access control system.

I don't claim to understand it, I just live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.