Strobes and boundarys

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzclark

I am installing a few different coloured strobes in a class 1 div 2 area. To me it looks like I will be required to eys each strobe before entering a jb. Is this correct? Strobes do not look to be factory sealed.
image.jpg

http://appliedstrobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/AST-14.pdf

Question 2

I am going from inside a structure to outside however the class and division are the same. On the exterior I will be connecting to a nema 4 enclosure using Myers hubs. Since the c and d are no different do I still require a boundry seal?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I haven't done work under the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) since the late 90's. My response is based on the NEC. There are a few subtle differences beyond relegating Division classification/installation to an Appendix in the back of the book as the CEC did at the time.

See NEC Section 501.130(B)

In the NEC, Division 2 luminaires (fixtures) are not necessarily required to be explosionproof; therefore, they are not necessarily required to be sealed. (A seal on a nonexplosionproof enclosure is pretty much useless) The luminaire indicated in the link doesn't appear to be explosionproof, but I can't tell.

The primary issue for Division 2 luminaires is exposed surface temperatures. A nonexplosionproof luminaire "listed" for its "T-Code" is generally acceptable in Division 2.

Boundary seals are a different issue. The NEC doesn't address boundaries between locations that have the same classification but are classified because of different sources. However, for practical purposes, there is no essential purpose for a seal between locations that aren't supposed to have ignitable gases in them under "normal" conditions in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.