Structured cabling systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskan JW

What type of cabling systems do you guys use in homes. I have been doing some research and all I can really find is levinton. Have a customer that wants audio and video distribution along with phone and cable.

sparkyjim

If you're new to distributed audio/video, you probably ought to look at Niles ZR systems. They have some very nice and relatively simple systems. Stay away from the IP addressable until you've had a chance to sit through some workshops. If you have any ?'s, ask.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:
I use a piece of plywood.

I'm assuming that's in the basement?

I would do that if it were an option, but homes aren't built w/ basements here, and I've only worked on maybe two homes that had some type of mechanical area that could be done.

Anyway, that said, I've always used a flush enclosure.

I've used leviton w/ no problems, but I've started using products from Suttle (price). The link will take you to their residential products page. If you create a username and password, the prices will be on there; its less expensive than leviton, and I've found those 8-port patches to be useful compared to leviton's 6-port. The prices they show are about 5% higher than I pay at the supply house, so that may give you an idea of what you're paying.

alaskan JW

brantmacga said:
I'm assuming that's in the basement?

I would do that if it were an option, but homes aren't built w/ basements here, and I've only worked on maybe two homes that had some type of mechanical area that could be done.

Anyway, that said, I've always used a flush enclosure.

I've used leviton w/ no problems, but I've started using products from Suttle (price). The link will take you to their residential products page. If you create a username and password, the prices will be on there; its less expensive than leviton, and I've found those 8-port patches to be useful compared to leviton's 6-port. The prices they show are about 5% higher than I pay at the supply house, so that may give you an idea of what you're paying.

thanks for the link

e57

Don't mind enclosures - I HATE THE PARTS THEY COME WITH!!!!

Might I suggest reqular 110 and 66 blocks for phones and data, and regular CATV splitters in an enclure or your choice....

And a quick light read:
http://www.markhellerelectric.com/phoneclass.pdf

AV stuff - unless you like trouble it is best avoided for high end stuff - or get used to doing an enourmous amount of reseach....

alaskan JW

e57 said:

Might I suggest reqular 110 and 66 blocks for phones and data, and regular CATV splitters in an enclure or your choice....

And a quick light read:

AV stuff - unless you like trouble it is best avoided for high end stuff - or get used to doing an enourmous amount of reseach....

Thanks for the link but I dont know if that is a light read :wink:

sparkyjim

We use the Open House Enclosures, 36" and usually use two or three. I won't use any of their other products. I thought you were wanting info on A/V; should have read more closely. A structured cabling system may be the backbone for a distributed audio/video system; you usually can't fit the required equipment in those enclosures. Netstreams is a good one if Niles isn't big enough. Most structured cables have 2-catv and 2-rg6. rg6 is only good for the "line" side of the equipment.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
e57 said:

And a quick light read:

suttle has 66 blocks that snap into their enclosure.

e57

brantmacga said:
suttle has 66 blocks that snap into their enclosure.
Still like off the shelf plain ol' vanilla stock... No special order/waiting... Just a self drilling screw to put a regular bracket in most any enclosure - even a good sized J-box....

On a few commercial installs I used 6X6 gutter with 110's as intermediates and 2" conduits back out relocate com rooms across an exposed cieling. Then into a 20X48X6 tapped for 19" hinged patch panels and cable managment - the inner lip of the boxes I used was a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.