Structured wiring box grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the area where I work, we are required to inspect low voltage systems during the rough electrical inspection (ie. phone, catv and alarm systems etc.) this also includes the structured wiring box installed at the master bedroom closet where a 120v outlet is wired in by the EC, my question is a green ground screw is installed at factory usually at the bottom of this enclosure, has anyone been required to install a ground bonded to the electrode system in accordance with 820.100(D).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
800.100(D) does not apply to interior building wiring. It has to do with the grounding and bonding of the incomming phone service cable and the primary protector.
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some of these enclosures have receptacle housings built in, in which case the grounding is automatic. Also, powered amps and/or splitters would provide grounding through their power cords.

In other cases, I'm sure the multitude of coax shields affords adequate bonding. The point is that, like gas appliances, grounding is provided by the sorce likely to energize the equipment in the first place.

Disclaimer: "Bonding" and "grounding" used interchangeably here.

Status
Not open for further replies.