Structured wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

I am starting a project today that consists of 85 up scale loft apartments. For the structured wiring I am planning on 2 coaxial cables, 2 ethernet cables and 1 empty smurf pipe from a central comm closet to each location. Anyone have any suggestions for what else might be needed.

nhfire77

Are you also supplying a RG-6 to the demarc from each unit. Resi-gard from the demarc to the individual units will allow them to change to fiber in the future if they go with verizon Fios. Not that I would, but it is something verizon is doing here. I'm not sure on cost with smurf vs. Resi-gard.

Offer Building wide wireless Internet as well. You would need to deal with comcast to set up the bandwidth requirements and cable size. Typically a WAP is installed in the center of each floor, each wing.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... I am planning on 2 coaxial cables, 2 ethernet cables and 1 empty smurf pipe from a central comm closet to each location.
Why empty tube and cables? I'd run the cables in the tubes.

If/when something better :)roll:) comes along, the coaxes and CAT's will be obsolete, and could be used as pull wires.

nhfire77

Why empty tube and cables? I'd run the cables in the tubes.

If/when something better :)roll:) comes along, the coaxes and CAT's will be obsolete, and could be used as pull wires.

That's what I'm talking about. Excellent and Complete service+happy customer= increase in profit.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Resi-gard from the demarc to the individual units will allow them to change to fiber in the future if they go with verizon Fios.

It has always been my understanding that verizon fios was fiber-to-the-house only; is it not?

One of our local telco's recently started running FTTH, same as verizon, and the only thing we have to do as a contractor is put a receptacle next to the NID to power the conversion unit.

masterinbama

Well I found out 2 things today on this project. The 85 units was a typo, it's only 25. And all of the wiring will be exposed conduit because these units are going in an old cotton mill. So I will just run a 1" emt from the demarc to each drop.

I have also posted some "before" pictures of the 2 services that will be redone.

nhfire77

It has always been my understanding that verizon fios was fiber-to-the-house only; is it not?

One of our local telco's recently started running FTTH, same as verizon, and the only thing we have to do as a contractor is put a receptacle next to the NID to power the conversion unit.

Not at all.

They have been retro fitting fiber right to the NID in individual units in apartment buildings here and I read a story about a 700 unit building they did in NYC. Its the same principle as Coax, only the coax continues for CATV as well.

I'm always surprised to actually see verizon techs working. When they do, they do it well.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Not at all.

They have been retro fitting fiber right to the NID in individual units in apartment buildings here and I read a story about a 700 unit building they did in NYC. Its the same principle as Coax, only the coax continues for CATV as well.

I'm always surprised to actually see verizon techs working. When they do, they do it well.

they're sending fiber into each individual apartment?

for what purpose? Are they installing an ONT inside the apartment and converting to copper, or do these units have fiber optic networks installed throughout?

Status
Not open for further replies.