stupid audio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i dont really know too much about hooking up speakers and sound systems. what are some rules of thumb for correct speaker sizing and placement? my uncle wants some speakers installed in his house and im going to do it. im pretty sure i understand the wiring of the equipment. another question. do they make volume controls that can be controlled with a universal remote control or something like that?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
i dont really know too much about hooking up speakers and sound systems. what are some rules of thumb for correct speaker sizing and placement? my uncle wants some speakers installed in his house and im going to do it. im pretty sure i understand the wiring of the equipment. another question. do they make volume controls that can be controlled with a universal remote control or something like that?

They make about anything you can think of. Also don't wire the speakers with romex..:grin:

iwire

Staff member
No I do not.

But none of us know your uncle either and we don't know if he likes to listed to Ozzy at 110DB in every room or just wants to listen to his local talk radio. :smile:

Your question is so wide open you will get responses from 'buy IPod for him' to 'you need $150.00 Audio Grade receptacles' to 'you need to hire an acoustical engineer'.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
chris kennedy said:
At least we will get to see a picture of Larry's system again.
Oh, pick on me, why don't you! Fine, then, no pictures. (Unless someone wanst to see them. ;))

Person, there's no one best speaker for every room. Give us an idea of the room size in all three dimensions, how heavily furnished it is, what kind of source material will be listened to and/or watched, and how loud.

As for volume control, if you'll be confined to a single space, the receiver you use should come with a suitable remote. If you're looking for a whole-house system, the sky's the limit. Where's your uncle's home?

electricalperson

the room size is probably about 200 square feet. its a kitchen and he wants to have his ipod hooked up in the other room and be able to play it from the kitchen for entertaining guests or something like that

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
the room size is probably about 200 square feet. its a kitchen and he wants to have his ipod hooked up in the other room and be able to play it from the kitchen for entertaining guests or something like that
Where to begin? Do you feel like calling me? A 10 minute discussion could take a week here. PM me for my number.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
Sweet, Larry, post some new ones of your projector and screen, and what method do you use for video selecting? Everything back to the projector or the receiver?
Well, I'm long overdue for some new pix. Here's a link to my system page, although there have been some changes. Image links at the bottom: http://fineelectricco.com/System.html

For AV switching and surround, I now have a Fosgate FAP-T1+ pre-pro, which replaced the B&K and Sony units, and eliminated a couple of other pieces. It's an incredible component, and it works flawlessly.

Pic (not my pics): http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/Fosgate_FAPT1-2b_Surround_Processor-2fPreampb215e464-d549-4c1d-ab36-24976ed1f8a6-detail.jpg

I'm not one of those who feel the video switchiong should be done by the display. I like component video for hi-def, and use a transcoder to convert that to RGB-HV which feeds the CRT projector via five RG-59's.

I have a DVD of The Blue Man Group, The Eagles Farewell Tour, James Taylor at the Beacon Theater, all of which have incredible soundtracks. But then, with 2200 watts of audio, they sound great at concert level.

This is an open offer for anyone who gets to Richmond to come by for a movie or concert. It's better than going to the movie theaters. We have a much more liberal food-and-drink policy than they do. :wink:

Oh, by the way, we also have some new seating: a blue twin-reclining loveseat and a pair of matching recliners.

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Oh, by the way, we also have some new seating: a blue twin-reclining loveseat and a pair of matching recliners.

I am almost afraid to ask if you still have the fully-functional dentist's chair. :grin:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I am almost afraid to ask if you still have the fully-functional dentist's chair. :grin:
Be afraid! Be very afraid!

I'm afraid we still have it.

We'll save it for you, Bob.

dereckbc

Staff member
OK KICK ME :roll: For speaker wire, resistance is a key. In my home I use NM-B. No fancy MOSNTER expensive stuff, just good 12 AWG copper closely coupled, paried up with its mate with color coding a ole grunt can see with old eyes and twist together. :grin: Another option IMO is paired TC rated 10 or 8 AWG.

Is it Code? Beats me, but it works great.:D Again IMO it is overkill per code and safe.

If I am full of it; please tell me where in the NEC that prohibits this advice?

Last edited:

zappy

iwire said:
No I do not.

But none of us know your uncle either and we don't know if he likes to listed to Ozzy at 110DB in every room or just wants to listen to his local talk radio. :smile:

Your question is so wide open you will get responses from 'buy IPod for him' to 'you need $150.00 Audio Grade receptacles' to 'you need to hire an acoustical engineer'.
LOL.Make sure you use the biggest cable for your speakers.Better sound quality!;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
zappy said:
LOL.Make sure you use the biggest cable for your speakers.Better sound quality!;)
I use #14 plain ol' speaker wire. Nothing fancy. The mains are bi-wired. Plus, they each receive 120v and shielded audio cables for the built-in sub amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.