Stupid question or stupid inspector?

Where I have ran into AHJ problems over the years is feeding a dwelling unit from a feeder is 240.24(B)(1) each occupant shall have access to their service equipment.
True that can be an issue if the feeder originates from a panel inside the main house. There is the exception though. Also the inspector could be told that the person in the DADU will be given a key and permission to access the house 😉

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
True that can be an issue if the feeder originates from a panel inside the main house. There is the exception though. Also the inspector could be told that the person in the DADU will be given a key and permission to access the house 😉

Yeah the owner did not want the occupant to have access to the service, they had me appeal it up to the state level, I have a old post about it on here, in the end my argument was all detached dwelling units after the primary dwelling (or dwelling with the with the service) on a legal tax lot meet the definition of a 'guest suite'. So a DADU is a both a dwelling unit and guest suite. The the local AHJ was arguing NEC definitions are mutually exclusive, that once it was a 'dwelling unit', it could no longer be a 'guest suite'. Then I brought up the 'outlet' definition.

Yeah the owner did not want the occupant to have access to the service, they had me appeal it up to the state level, I have a old post about it on here, in the end my argument was all detached dwelling units after the primary dwelling (or dwelling with the with the service) on a legal tax lot meet the definition of a 'guest suite'. So a DADU is a both a dwelling unit and guest suite. The the local AHJ was arguing NEC definitions are mutually exclusive, that once it was a 'dwelling unit', it could no longer be a 'guest suite'. Then I brought up the 'outlet' definition.
Granted I don't know the whole situation, but it seems like a lot of work. I mean put a key box somewhere. Personally, if I didn't trust someone to have access to my house, I don't think I would want them living 50 ft away either 😂

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sure but I am not talking about what kinda guys we are I am talking about who regulates electrical installations in England, if you look at your building regulations in part 1 definitions paragraph (2) we see the definition of 'building work', 'controlled service or fitting' and 'electrical installation' , then you can see they do regulate electrical installations very similar to here.
Then if you click to the next page and scroll down you can see all the electrical competent person schemes:
And once your registered you can look up a competent electrician here:
But, as I said, we are in the electrical field, not the building trade. Just an aside I am not English anyway...

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Scottish, with a South African login name, if I recall correctly?
Yes, you are right - I am British or United Kingdom. Many people, incorrectly, call us English when we have to show documents like our Passports,
The Besoeker is a name I use for forums - it was when went to SA a few times and I stuck with it.