Sub feed cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansos

We are installing an outdoor disconnect for a 200 A service in a residential home. We will be running 4/0 AL from disconnect to the main panel inside. I have always ran 200 A sub feed cable ( I believe 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 AL)
My question is..... why does the “ground” running from disconnect to panel need to be sized differently than our “earth grounds” (#6 Cu)??
Can you site the NEC on this please? My helper asked me why and I did not have a definitive answer for him. I always assumed we sized equipment grounds on the size of the feeder cable but is the fourth wire in a sub feed an equipment ground? I am confused on this subject.
Thank you in advance.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, the EGC in the feeder is an equipment ground, and it is based on the size of the 200a main breaker.

The rod GEC never needs to exceed #6 cu because that is considered to be the limit of earth conductivity.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Because the ground running between the disconnect and panel is an “equipment ground” which needs to be sized to effectively carry a larger amount of current (to trip OCPD) than that of your “grounding electrode conductor” that lands on a ground rod. Earth/rod resistance no matter where you are on Earth is usually high enough to restrict the amount of current that the GEC will ever deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.