sub feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In a sub feed panel we run a equipment ground wire. so we wont get zapped if we lose a neutral. yes / no ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there is no EGC with the neutral bonded at the sub-panel and it were lost you could have the potential for a shock.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nope.
How would you explain a sub-feed panel that has no neutral ?

I say sorta/kinda/maybe depending in what exactly the OP means. If he means " why do we run a separate EGC and neuter instead of just using the neuter as the fault clearing path" then I agree with Rob post #3 that is one of the reasons, but probably more so to just keep neutral currents off expose metal stuff.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The biggest reason a separate ground is run, is due to everything becoming energized if for some reason the neutral has a bad connection or open at the source. This causes everything that grounded thru the neutral bar to become live to other surfaces such as concrete floors, metal building structure, etc.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
what good does the green wire do in a sub feed if i use metal conduit from main panel to sub panel ?

retirede

why do we run the greeb wire.

So that the ground in the subpanel is not affected by voltage drop on the neutral. Basically the same reason branch circuits have a separate ground and neutral.
Your original question about preventing shock in the case of a compromised neutral is a benefit of having a separate ground, but not the reason it’s required - my opinion, of course.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
what good does the green wire do in a sub feed if i use metal conduit from main panel to sub panel ?

The equipment grounding conductor can be either metal conduit or a conductor. Some feel that the green wire , equipment grounding conductor, has a less chance of human error (not tightening the couplings etc,) than the conduit. In fact, the conduit is a better conductor than the wire style ground. The conduit has less impedance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Gives some folks who don't trust the integrity of the conduit a warm fuzzy feeling to see the conductor.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The equipment grounding conductor can be either metal conduit or a conductor. Some feel that the green wire , equipment grounding conductor, has a less chance of human error (not tightening the couplings etc,) than the conduit. In fact, the conduit is a better conductor than the wire style ground. The conduit has less impedance.
Nothing wrong in having both though. Seen too many conduits used as the egc damaged and separated, and nobody knows about it until someone gets shocked or electrocuted. If the damage is severe enough to break the ground wire, then most likely there will be a short amongst the other wires, causing the ocp to trip.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bonding sub feed. if i run metal conduit fron main panle to sub panle do i bond the neutral to the sub panle ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bonding sub feed. if i run metal conduit fron main panle to sub panle do i bond the neutral to the sub panle ?

The only time you bond the neutral to the panel enclosure is in the service equipment. A sub panel is not service equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.