sub it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
my annual general liability review with my underwriter has them expressing a lot of
interest in trenching, provided it's deep enough to require either shoring or setbacks.

i just said i never go over 24" deep, and that dog went back to sleep.

then there is scaffolding, and roof work, and they want percentages of hours worked
in those occupancies... they have never asked for payroll, specific hours, or cost
coding.

as for WC in calif. when i've needed it, i've used state fund, and their percentages
go up the cheaper the labor is that i hire. their reasoning is twofold... lower paid
employees are generally less skilled and experienced, and more likely to have an
accident, and it takes a higher percentage of their wage to make a premium to cover
the risk.

the real problem with hiring in the golden state, is that it needs to be a state licensed
journeyman, or a state indentured apprentice.... and it's just not worth it for me to
start the tail wagging the dog... probably the hardest row i've seen to hoe is the five
man shop.... my hat is off to those who can do it.... all the compliance, without the
volume to make it seem worth while.

being a little one man band, without payroll, works for me.... with flat rate pricing,
i need 3 decent days a week, and i'm ok. i don't have a death march of jobs and i'm
not herding cats 14 hours a day. and i'm not making $400k a year, either.

to each his own....

Just wait until they find out you are actually going down about 27" to get the required coverage on a 2" conduit in some places. Your rates will skyrocket, if they even continue to offer you coverage.:roll:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Just wait until they find out you are actually going down about 27"
to get the required coverage on a 2" conduit in some places.
Your rates will skyrocket, if they even continue to offer you coverage.:roll:

i shall worry about that when i turn around to grab another stick of
pvc, and the insurance underwriter is there with a tape measure,
a clipboard, and a whistle.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.