Sub-panel bonding

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
As long as the N-G bond is only in one place, there are no parallel paths to carry objectionable current.
What if the disconnect is beside of another disconnect. In the case at my church, there's a 400 amp disconnect feeding another 400 amp disconnect right beside of it and the second 400 amp disconnect if feeding a 100 amp fuses disconnect right beside of that. The feeder in question is on the 100 amp disconnect beside of the other 400 amp disconnect. They are all bonded at each disconnect. I'm assuming all needed to n/g should have been connected together at the first 400 amp disconnect. This is a very old service to the church that was probably installed 100 years ago. Would there be objectionable current at the 3 disconnects grouped together if all 3 had n/g connected together in each disconnect?

retirede

What if the disconnect is beside of another disconnect. In the case at my church, there's a 400 amp disconnect feeding another 400 amp disconnect right beside of it and the second 400 amp disconnect if feeding a 100 amp fuses disconnect right beside of that. The feeder in question is on the 100 amp disconnect beside of the other 400 amp disconnect. They are all bonded at each disconnect. I'm assuming all needed to n/g should have been connected together at the first 400 amp disconnect. This is a very old service to the church that was probably installed 100 years ago. Would there be objectionable current at the 3 disconnects grouped together if all 3 had n/g connected together in each disconnect?

Bond should exist only at the service disconnect. I’m guessing that the first 400 is the service disconnect?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
... Would there be objectionable current at the 3 disconnects grouped together if all 3 had n/g connected together in each disconnect?
If there is an EGC or other metal path between them, then yes, there would be objectionable current on that. If there is no EGC (like how you mentioned in the OP with SEU cable) there may be no objectionable current. On an old installation I would not unbond the neutral from the panel without installing some sort of EGC first. IMO fundamentally is more important that the panels be bonded than how they are bonded, notwithstanding that ideally they'd be brought up to code.