Sub-panel by kitchen sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I’m working on an addition to a retail space where they are putting in a food prep area for sandwiches, panini’s, beverages, etc. It’s basically a kitchen by code definition.

I installed a subpanel on a wall adjacent to the kitchen sink area. It is “within 6 feet of the sink” which shouldn’t have an effect in regards to GFCI requirements, especially related to feeders and panels.

I followed the code for working space from 110.26. I have the 30” width and the 36” depth.
Is there anything else that would keep me from putting the panel in this location?

My inspector is wishing I wouldn’t have put it by the sink. This was the only location that I logistically could get the feeder and panel installed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as you have the required working space it can go right next to the sink. Now if this area meets the definition of a wet location then you may need a panel designed for wet locations.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I had a (cheap) client who decided to do a last minute to a utility closet and they put the a slop sink where the panel was. So I suggested moving the panel to another wall. It met code, but everyone was concerned about the sink being near by. Is it ideal, certainly not... but I didn't write the code, and at then end of the day I'm not writing the check either.

sw_ross

As long as you have the required working space it can go right next to the sink. Now if this area meets the definition of a wet location then you may need a panel designed for wet locations.
That’s a good point. It is just a general use prep sink. I don’t think it would meet the wet location definition.
I just installed an indoor Type 1 panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.