Sub panel ground bus bar bonding to cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
With NEC requiring all metal parts likely to become energized but not part of a normal conducting circuit to be bonded?

Is it proper for me to install a bonding wire jumper from otherwise isolated ground bus bar to sub panel metal cabinet?

If so do I size it to largest conductor or over current device.

Location in question in picture. Thanks

Attachments

• 3B0D4DA1-91E6-410B-BB87-26F2C5FBB3FD.jpeg
    3B0D4DA1-91E6-410B-BB87-26F2C5FBB3FD.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 40

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Originally that panel likely would have been provided with a bond jumper but, yes, the cabinet does need to be bonded.
Follow 250.102(D)

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Is the panel bonded via the raceway? See 250.118

Due to the owner at this mine not being subject to NEC code requirements, this sub-panel would otherwise be out of code compliance since the feeders are SOOW cord directly buried without conduit and under less than a 24 inch trench. There is only a metal conduit with adapters from ground protrusion to panel.

The branch circuit leaves the cabinet through non water light compression couplings set screw connectors and emt

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Usually, the screws that hold the ground bus in place are also the bonding mechanism to the cabinet in this kind of arrangement.
True but in this case, on that manufacturer, you have a isolated neutral bar converted to an equipment ground bar. Install a 250.122 sized bond jumper to the can and be done.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Also I believe with that manufacture, when a neutral bar is converted to a ground bar, there is a plastic jumper that replaces the metal one that is removed to keep the panel listing.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
True but in this case, on that manufacturer, you have an isolated neutral bar converted to an equipment ground bar. Install a 250.122 sized bond jumper to the can and be done.
Although maybe not code compliant I removed the neutral to ground shorting bar to isolate ground from neutral in sub-panel. I have to work with what company has

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Here is what used to be there.
It's a Gould ITE. Easy fix

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407-161006.png
    Screenshot_20230407-161006.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230407-161320~2.png
    Screenshot_20230407-161320~2.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 11