Sub Panel in Attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

IMO more people are unhappy about codes being a changed just as a matter of companies selling products and covering their rear end.

All this new push for further derating, .... roofs... cables through sill plates ... SE treated at 60C ... etc has been based entirely on people covering their rear and selling more products and not on a history of real application issues. That, to me erodes the integrity of a 'safety code'.

I agree with this 100% and I believe it is absolutely true.

Living in the age of litigation has turned us into a bunch of nondecisive drones who can't think for ourselves. If the book doesn't tell us we don't know what to do.

How many times in this very forum has a simple question been asked only to be answered with "no you can't do that, you'll violate the listing" . Sure there are instances where REAL problems can surface if you mess around with a product but most of the time it's just nonsense.

Now back to my spaceship. :grin:

IMO more people are unhappy about codes being a changed just as a matter of companies selling products and covering their rear end.

All this new push for further derating, .... roofs... cables through sill plates ... SE treated at 60C ... etc has been based entirely on people covering their rear and selling more products and not on a history of real application issues. That, to me erodes the integrity of a 'safety code'.

I would not say all of the changes this past cycle are driven by manufacturers, but some of the ones creating the most dynamic cost changes are driven by manufacturers. I also believe that too many of those particular changes were not justified other than to sell the product. If this trend continues, then I see issues that will make following changes become rather difficult to deal with by the masses in the field.

Scott
You have to travel to see those aliens? Come to NY, there is no spaceship required. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.