Sub Panel / swimming pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

daldelta

Hello Group:

1) I am running four #8 thnn-thwn wires from my service panel to my exterior sub panel in Schedule 80 conduit. I have a 50 amp 220 (not a ground fault) breaker in my service panel feeding my sub panel. I need more breaker spaces than 6 in the sub panel so I want to install a 125 amp sub panel with more circuit space. All breakers in the sub panel will be ground fault. Is it OK per the NEC to use the 125 amp sub panel main breaker as the disconnect, since I am feeding the sub panel with a 50 amp breaker at the service panel?

2) I need to install my sub panel that will service the swimming pool approximately 45 feet away from my house. Is it OK per the NEC if I build a plywood wall to mount the sub panel on? The wall will be constructed of two 4*4 treated posts approximately 4 feet apart with an 3/4" exterior plywood sheet between them. The sheet of plywood will not be the full height of the posts there will be a large gap between the plywood and the ground. The sub panel will be mounted about 4 feet from the ground to the bottom of the sub panel. Below the sub panel wall will be the concrete pad for the pump / pool equipment. The wall will be exposed to all Tennessee weather conditions.

3) When we dug the 18" plus trench for the conduit from the house to where I want to install the sub panel plywood wall, we cut through a couple of flexible gutter drain pipes (solid type no perforation holes). Is it OK to place the schedule 80 conduit underneath the drain pipe where they cross the trench. There are three different places drain pipes cross the trench. I really have no other option running the electrical that would allow me to miss the drain pipes. Yes, I have spliced the drain pipes where they were cut.

4) How do you determine if you require 1 or 2 grounding rods for the sub panel? I understand the Equipotential bond does not connect to the sub panel ground rod, I am just not sure how many I require for the sub panel.

Thank You for your input, I tried to ask these questions to my inspector before asking the forum, but I cannot get a return call. I believe he is too busy with his full time job.

Thank You Dave
Tennessee

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.