Sub Panel Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaxIsMyAxe

New User
Occupation
Retired
I am hoping someone can help me think through this:
Recently ran out of room in a QO Load center 12 space box. I need to add a 2pole, 30amp circuit. Setting aside total capacity for a moment, I plan to do the following
- install sub panel, 6 or 8 space, feed with 60amp 2pole breaker from main box
- Will run two hots from the 60 breaker, a neutral from main box bus and separate ground from main box bus. The neutral will go to neutral bus in sub, and the ground will go to ground bus in sub. The bonding screw in sub will be removed, isolating neutral and ground in the sub. I understand I need 4ga copper, 4 conductor for the connection between the two boxes.
- Two breakers will go in the sub, both 30amp, 2pole. One will feed a 4 wire dryer circuit (two hots off breaker, neutral from neutral bus, ground from ground bus) The other will feed an electric water heater, which is a 10-2, 2 hots and a bare ground. Two hots off the breaker, ground to the ground bus).

Am I missing anything?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.