sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronlove

if i have a 3 phase 400 amp service with only one 100 amp breaker free, and I need no feed a sub panel with a 60 amp main. does the wire feeding the 60 amp sub need to rated for 100 or 60?

ronlove

the 100 amp breaker is protecting the wire to the top of the 60 amp breaker. the 60 amp breaker is protecting the hole sub?

gar

Occupation
EE
081105-2144 EST

If you have a cable rated for 60 A and at the input end of this cable you use a 100 A breaker, then that cable is not protected from failure. Put a 100 A load on the cable and the breaker may never trip, but after a period of time the cable will probably overheat melting the insulation and fully short.

A 60 A breaker at the load end of the cable does not protect the cable. This 60 A breaker only protects the wiring or load following the 60 A breaker.

There is nothing to prevent an overload across the cable preceeding the 60 A breaker.

The entire theory of circuit protection is that the protective device is to protect that circuitry that follows the protective device. As you progress to the final load you will probably have protective devices that have lower ratings the closer to the load.

kb8713

How about 240.21. Overc urrent protaction shall be provided in each ungrounded circuit conductor and shall be located at the point where the conductor recieves thier supply. Also see 210.3

Doug S.

I would size it to the smallest breaker protecting the wire, in your case the 60 amp main in the sub-panel.

The way I read it is the 60 breaker is protecting the sub-panel, and the 100a is protecting the wire.
So although the 60a breaker would limit the current on the feeders, 240.21 leads me to believe that "doesn't count" and the wire should be sized for the 100a breaker.

Doug S.

EDIT: OOPS, sorry somehow I totally missed page two.... Just ignore the blabbering buffoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.