Sub panels need main breaker pr disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

David c

Occupation
Electrican
Currently trying to get final on a project i ve been working on had an inspector out today and would pass me because hes says i need disconnects on the units i ran other units power is this true.

What i have is a 8 unit property all free standing single family dwellings seperate adresses 1 owner. Currently have dwp approval to mount 2 seperate meter sections one on each side of property. Out of those meter sections i ran all sub feeds under units in crawl space and trenched in between using lbs flex and pvc. On units i used just as passage he wants the lbs removed and disconnects installed to kill power passing under units. Never heard of this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing im done with the job.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What i have is a 8 unit property all free standing single family dwellings seperate adresses 1 owner.

That's a really strange setup. Normally I would do separate UG services to each dwelling since they aren't attached.

Assuming the 2020 code, it requires a disconnect outside each unit. If you are using the crawl space to run your feeders to other units I have to agree that a disconnect is required on the side of each unit for it as well as for what runs through it.

-Hal

Buck Parrish

If you're on 2020 , as stated, yes you need a disconnect.
If you're not on 2020, perhaps he has his own interpretation of readily accessible location 230-70(A)1

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If I’m following this correctly, you have a freestanding meter stack with mains, going to 8 separate buildings? You will need a main in each building as they are a separate structure. As others have said, if it is on the 2020 code, you will need a disconnect outside each building. If not, a main in each panel will be sufficient, unless local code requires it outside.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you ran conductors in the crawl space under a unit I would side with the inspector in requiring a disconnect with overcurrent protection.

David c

Occupation
Electrican
That's a really strange setup. Normally I would do separate UG services to each dwelling since they aren't attached.

Assuming the 2020 code, it requires a disconnect outside each unit. If you are using the crawl space to run your feeders to other units I have to agree that a disconnect is required on the side of each unit for it as well as for what runs through it.

-Hal
All sub feeds are ran individually. Trenched in between units and ran underneath. Permits were pulled in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

David c

Occupation
Electrican
If I’m following this correctly, you have a freestanding meter stack with mains, going to 8 separate buildings? You will need a main in each building as they are a separate structure. As others have said, if it is on the 2020 code, you will need a disconnect outside each building. If not, a main in each panel will be sufficient, unless local code requires it outside.

It is a meter gang mounted to one of the structures all sub panels do have main breakers and permit was pulled in 2019. Other units sub feeds do pass under multiple units to get to that specifice unit. Ive done this same set up before to save from a huge amount of concrete work and had no problems so im not sure how to proceed

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Ive done this same set up before to save from a huge amount of concrete work...

Is this a new build or existing?

Without knowing that and seeing the actual layout of the site I can't comment on the best way to run the feeders.

It also appears that you in California have your own Code (2019) and I have no idea what it says on this subject. I suggest that you get the AHJ to quote the Article and section he's talking about.

-Hal

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
California is on the 2017 Code, but Los Angeles has their own codes as well, don't know if that is a factor though.

I interpret his issue being that because the conductors are going THROUGH another unit in the crawl space, then if a fire fighter came and killed the power to that unit, there are still going to be live conductors inside. Had you TRENCHED under the other units or run it in rigid conduit, he may have allowed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.