Subfed panel on new service

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsstaley

My In-laws just bought a piece of property with a metal bldg. for storage. The incoming service is at a pole about 50 feet from the street with the bldg. another 50 ft. from the pole. The pole currently has a 40 amp box with a couple of GFCI receptacles in it. My father- in-law wants to put in a 200amp main breaker box on the pole with a NEMA 3R panel mounted on the outside of his bldg. If we do this he would lose the receptacles at the pole and we would need more/ longer extension cords to get power back toward the street. I wanted to see about re-installing the old 40 amp box next to the new 200 amp main breaker box but since there are only one set of lugs on the secondary side of the main, how would I accomplish this beside running a circuit from the new panel at the bldg? Your thoughts please!

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Re: Subfed panel on new service

Why not put the necessary WPR receps right next to the new NEMA3R 200A panel? Or feed the existing 40A panel with the new. Am I missing the point? I am not sure.

hurk27

Install a meter and a 200amp disconect at the pole. then install a small 4 space panel at the pole. run your plugs off this panel then run the second service to the building from the disconect. as allowed in 230.40 Exception No. 5:
Make sure that you drive at least two ground rods at the pole too 6' apart

gsstaley

How do I feed the 2nd panel, through a gutter. I don't understand. My first thought after writng in was to see if I can install double barrel lugs, but I'm not sure I can get one small enough. Or where you suggesting putting both sets of wires under the secondary side?

Status
Not open for further replies.