SubMeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sparkles

Occupation
Electromagician
Hello Out There,
I got a customer installing a tiny home on back of property. Prefab that comes with electrical panel already installed. I am going to run conduit from main house 200amp service over to new unit and pull in wire for 60A subpanel on the tiny home. They want to be able to meter the unit. Which product is best out there in peoples experience for this type of application. I believe they would want to be able to remotely see kWh, but maybe just traditional style meter would work too. But then I would have to buy a subpanel with jaws and socket for that. Curious what others have done.

Thanks,
MS

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are a number of metering manufacturers, EMON for one but, if they are wanting to do it for charging a tenant be careful, it is illegal in most cases I'm aware of.

Roger

Todd0x1

There are a number of metering manufacturers, EMON for one but, if they are wanting to do it for charging a tenant be careful, it is illegal in most cases I'm aware of.

Roger

Here in California where the OP is located you can submeter for the purposes of charging the tenant, but what you charge the tenant can not exceed what the tenant would have paid if they were directly metered. In other words you can not profit from the submetering, only recover the exact cost of the tenants use. There are some companies who will install the submeter and handle the billing.

Status
Not open for further replies.