SUBPANEL AS A CHASE TO GENERATOR SWITCH

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My 75 year Master electrician. I never seen it but that's what he says. I guess I will post that next.
Ask him where you can read it for yourself? I know some areas have a specified length for 230.70(A)(1) but the NEC does not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was told from meter to panel it cant be over 8 ft
If the conductors are on the outside of the structure then the NEC has no limit as to the length of the conductors. If the conductors are entering the structure then the section that Roger mentions in post #23 would apply but that has no specific limit either. Your master electrician needs to clarify where the 8' comes from.

Occupation
Electrician
If the conductors are on the outside of the structure then the NEC has no limit as to the length of the conductors. If the conductors are entering the structure then the section that Roger mentions in post #23 would apply but that has no specific limit either. Your master electrician needs to clarify where the 8' comes from.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am so confused now. he said from meter outside once it enters the house max 8 ft. maybe it is just alliant. Thanks
Well it's possible that someone has established 8' as the allowable limit in your area. Again the NEC doesn't say that it's 8'. It could just be what the AHJ has allowed to meet their definition of the word nearest so the master might be correct based on that.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
you run the wires through the sub panel which was the main panel before we started this process to the Generac t switch. sorry i am not very smart and i guess i cant read either. i just dont see where is says that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221023-092441_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221023-092441_Gallery.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 31
Occupation
Electrician
Actually there is no issue with using the panel as a chase, the issue is with having service conductors in the same raceway or cable. Fill might also be an issue in that nipple too as he was really struggling to get them all through.
Wondering if you could help me figure out if this is against code. I have an inspector who says it's a violations. He is not approving it but still would like to learn how it is a violation. I am not using panel as a Chase but I have Don about 10 that way since last post and everyone says it is legal.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think you're missing the inspectors reason for saying no, it's not the fact that the panel can be used for a raceway, it's due to service conductor being in it with non-service conductors.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What is the point of posting that illustration? If you read it, it clearly states that only service conductors can be in a service raceway.

The inspector has a valid point. They can terminate in enclosures with non-service conductors but they can not travel through raceways together.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Let me clarify, I see your argument but regardless of the illustration the inspector can interpret his way IMO.