Subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I'm changing a service from 100 amp to 200 amp. The inside panel is directly behind the new 'meter combo I installed.
Even though it's right behind the meter combo, it now becomes a subpanel and requires a 4 wire feeder, right? I mistakenly put a 3 wire and have to change it. Just wanted to verify that I'm right this time. I've got to change it before inspection. Inspection is already scheduled for Friday.

Thanks

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If your new meter combo has overcurrent protection then the existing panel will become a subpanel with all the requirements of such. 4 wire installation separating all the neutrals and grounds and unbonding the N/G at the panel. (2017 code). But if you are on 2020 code my understanding is you can have your meter combo as "Emergency Disconnect Only" "Not Service Equipment" and everything else can stay as is.

sparkync

Thanks for your reply. I'm in NC, and we do residential by 2017 code and commercial by 2020 code, so looks like I'm going to have to change it.
Thanks a lot.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If your new meter combo has overcurrent protection then the existing panel will become a subpanel with all the requirements of such. 4 wire installation separating all the neutrals and grounds and unbonding the N/G at the panel. (2017 code). But if you are on 2020 code my understanding is you can have your meter combo as "Emergency Disconnect Only" "Not Service Equipment" and everything else can stay as is.

If a meter combo does not have overcurrent protection is it still considered a meter combo?

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.