Subpanels

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopro

A home has a 200 amp main panel with a 100 amp subpanel in the basement. The owner desires to install another 100 amp panel in a detached garage. Is it possible to do this or do I installed a 50 amp for the detached garage?

iwire

Staff member
lopro said:
A home has a 200 amp main panel with a 100 amp subpanel in the basement. The owner desires to install another 100 amp panel in a detached garage. Is it possible to do this or do I installed a 50 amp for the detached garage?

As long as the total calculated load remains under 200 amps you could add 600 amp sub panels in every room of the home.

JohnJ0906

lopro said:

What is the calculated load for the service?
What is the calculated load for the garage?

How much does he what to put in the garage? Unless he is going to have a serious workshop, then a 50 or 60 amp might well be enough.

Sparky555

lopro said:

I have a 200A main panel and two 100A subpanels, so I guess it is possible. I didn't do a load calculation because the local AHJ wouldn't know what to do with it, but it's probably around 75A total. It should get higher with some heaters & a welder.

Dave

powerslave

If they do decide to use a welder and heaters in the future which will put the entire load over 200-amps then they can put in a 400 amp service. Your 100-amp subpanels will be already in place and ready for use.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
lopro said:
The main breaker need not exceed the total of individual breakers. But don't waste money on more ampacity than you'll need. (The panel's rating may exceed it's used ampacity, but its feeder must be protected.)

"lopro" - Where do I know that name from? :confused:

360Youth

Sparky555 said:
I have a 200A main panel and two 100A subpanels, so I guess it is possible. I didn't do a load calculation because the local AHJ wouldn't know what to do with it, but it's probably around 75A total. It should get higher with some heaters & a welder.

Dave

I did a home with 200 amp service and ended up with 200 amp panel and 100 amp subpanel because as i went there just wasn't enough breaker spaces. The load was not a problem, but I like extra circuits so as to to run the risk of overload down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.