Suggesting didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
On top of that problem, H2S is a severe health hazard in high concentrations (as it was in that case) so someone could have been seriously harmed.
When my high school chemistry teacher was discussing toxic sulphur compounds and mentioned that H2S smelled like rotten eggs, someone asked him what SO2 smelled like.
He replied: "It smells like a truck has run over your chest."

kwired

Electron manager
Plate it all in gold!
Inert gass enclosures of some kind.

Purging with nitrogen may be one of cheapest ways of doing this, not an entirely inert gas but probably won't cause much issues either. Arcing components can create nitric oxide which can be a problem but if you have successful purge there is no oxygen to react with.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Plate it all in gold!
Inert gass enclosures of some kind.
No joke, I was working on building some switchboards and MCCs for a Geothermal Power Plant here in CA back in the 80s and the specifications called for all of the circuit breakers and disconnects to have gold plated current carrying components. That of course meant doing it BEFORE the breakers and switches were manufactured and assembled. That cost was a real eye opener. At that time it added over $1000 for each molded case circuit breaker, which back then was 5x the cost of most of the breakers. They bought it though.

Then they complained about the delivery time...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
No joke, I was working on building some switchboards and MCCs for a Geothermal Power Plant here in CA back in the 80s and the specifications called for all of the circuit breakers and disconnects to have gold plated current carrying components. That of course meant doing it BEFORE the breakers and switches were manufactured and assembled. That cost was a real eye opener. At that time it added over $1000 for each molded case circuit breaker, which back then was 5x the cost of most of the breakers. They bought it though.

Then they complained about the delivery time...
As I recall the steam and hot water used by the geothermal plants was very high in sulphur compounds, leading to that specification. But they did not plan adequately at first for the particles of minerals suspended in the water. The equipment got sandblasted from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.