Suggestions of resources for becoming an electrical contractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranky

Hi all - I'm new to the forum, but not to the electrical industry (20+ years experience). Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of starting an electrical contracting company and wondered if anyone had some suggestions of resources for researching this option. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rewire

cranky said:
Hi all - I'm new to the forum, but not to the electrical industry (20+ years experience). Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of starting an electrical contracting company and wondered if anyone had some suggestions of resources for researching this option. Thanks in advance for your help!
Check your state government web site ours has links to many business resourses

cranky

e57 said:
The licensing board of your state...
I forgot to mention that I am licensed in the major city I work. Does your suggestion still apply, or did you mean that I'd have to first be licensed? Thanks!

Rewire

cranky said:
I forgot to mention that I am licensed in the major city I work. Does your suggestion still apply, or did you mean that I'd have to first be licensed? Thanks!
Some areas require a contractors license in addition to your electrical license.In our state if you operate under a name other than your own like Sparkin Joes Electric then you must register with the Secretary of States office as a ficticious name.

satcom

If I was to do it all over, I would look for an established electrical contracting business, with a good history, of earnings, that is up for sale.

macmikeman

If I was to do it all over I would start up a little bitty website that untold milllions of bratty teenagers go to all their free time to gab about nothing much, and then peddle it to Yahoo or Google for about a half a billion or so.

Rewire

macmikeman said:
If I was to do it all over I would start up a little bitty website that untold milllions of bratty teenagers go to all their free time to gab about nothing much, and then peddle it to Yahoo or Google for about a half a billion or so.
If I did it all over I would have paid more attention to Star Trek

growler

If I had it all to do over again I would either be a politician or a TV Evangelist, that's where you get all the money, booze and women. After you get caught leading the good life you write a book about all the money, booze and women and guess what, they give you more money and the cycle starts all over. What a country. :D

220/221

If I was to do it all over, I would look for an established electrical contracting business, with a good history, of earnings, that is up for sale.

................call me

It is 70 degrees in sunny AZ today :)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
cranky said:
I went to the website - the bare bones biz plan. Have you used it? If so, what did you think? It looks interesting, but of course it does!

I've read a couple of her books while smoking peyote and hanging with the spider monkeys. Changed my whole perspective on stuff.

emahler recommended her to me. basically, her books can keep you from breaking yourself: if you're a financial/business guru it may not be for you, but if you grew up driving tractors and feeding pigs like me, you might want to take a look at it (or something similar). The books i read were all from a contractors perspective, so it can easily relate to you.

cranky

A little more info, for your insight:

I have a very good reputation and relationship with several project managers at a very large general contracting firm in the area. However, they do very large project (5 mil electrical is typical.) I don't think it is possible to start up in this big of projects, but I don't have much contacts in smaller ones.

Rewire

cranky said:
A little more info, for your insight:

I have a very good reputation and relationship with several project managers at a very large general contracting firm in the area. However, they do very large project (5 mil electrical is typical.) I don't think it is possible to start up in this big of projects, but I don't have much contacts in smaller ones.
Why not? Grandpa always said it was just as easy to marry a rich woman as a poor one.If that is what you want then let your business plan reflect that,you do have a business plan or at least have started to write one.If your research shows a need for another contractor in this market then go for it.

cranky

Rewire said:
Why not? Grandpa always said it was just as easy to marry a rich woman as a poor one.If that is what you want then let your business plan reflect that,you do have a business plan or at least have started to write one.If your research shows a need for another contractor in this market then go for it.

Don't you need a ton of capital to run that large of a company? I'd have to have about 20 electricians on average minimally to run such a job. That's where I am confused about how I could take on such a venture. I definitely have the abilities to run this type of job, physically and intellectually as I do so already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.