Suitable equipment for Class 1, Div 2 plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonen

Hello,
I need to install 2 small pumps in a pilot plant near Calgary, Canada.
The plant is rated as Class 1, Div 2.
The pumps are equipped with close coupled motors (WEG) that, apparently, not certified as Class 1, Div 2.
My questions are:
1- Does TEFC motor is suitable for such classified area?
2- If not, are there another solutions, rather than Class 1, Div 1 motors?

Thanks

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Canada has some subtle differences with the US with respect to motors in Class I, Division 2.

Neither the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) nor the NEC specifically require motors to be listed for Class I, Division 2; however, motors are still typically listed for Canadian (CSA)applications but not for US.

That said, a TEFC three-phase, induction motor would typically be suitable. Depending on the starting mode, a single-phase motor typically isn't.

Gonen

Bob,
Thank you for your prompt reply, it was very helpful.

I just want to get better understanding:
Any CSA (or UL) approved, three-phase, induction motor will be suitable for Class 1, Div 2 rated plant in Canada?
OR
Only CSA Class 1, Div 2 certified motor will do?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Good question. What I'm about to say only applies to motors. (As I mentioned, there are other subtle differences for other classes of equipment)

The NEC does not require ordinary location (general purpose) motors to be listed at all or to be specifically listed for Class I, Division 2. Until recently very few motors were listed for either case. With very few exceptions, motors installed in Division 1 are required to be listed for Division 1.

The CEC requires all motors to be listed to CSA Standards for ordinary location motors but not specifically for Class I, Division 2; although some are listed for Division 2. Again, with very few exceptions, motors installed in Division 1 are required to be listed for Division 1.

UL is recognized as a test laboratory when using CSA Standards as the test basis. They must use a special mark to indicate CSA standards were used.

SO - any three-phase, induction motor certified to CSA standards is suitable for Class I, Division 2 in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.