Sump Pump/GFCI

kwired

Electron manager
And in many cases the 2017 requires sump pumps to be on a gfci. The code does not state sump pump per se, but it does state outlets installed in unfinished basements, etc must be gfci. Back then you could get by with a direct wired pump

@jmellc -- check to see if they make a direct wired sump pump. I am betting they don't make them.

BTW, NC is on the 2017
For your typical self contained dwelling or light commercial smaller drainage or sewage lift stations I never seen one not cord and plug connected.

I have seen larger three phase submersible pumps that are not cord and plug connected pumping in a variety of situations from rainwater, to municipal lift station pumps to livestock manure pumps.

Does NEC define a sump pump or is there an actual listing for what is a sump pump vs what other submersibles are classified as?

A municipal lift station I used to do service work at occasionally had pumps submersed in the holding tank but were driven by long shafts coupled to motors located well above the holding tank. Basically performing same function but certainly did not have a submersible motor involved.

I think NEC went wrong way with this requirement. GFPE protection seems legitimate for such equipment. But then they also complicate it with GFCI protection necessary for receptacles in certain locations regardless the equipment it is intended to supply.

I need to install a sump pump at a low corner of my crawl space. I haven't dealt with any pumps for several years. Last I recall, they were bad for tripping GFCI receptacles. I used GFCI breakers for the few I ran power for. In my case, I only have a half space open in my GE panel. I could move things around for a full space but I'd rather use a receptacle if they will handle pumps now. Anyone dealing with pumps recently?
Sump pumps are required to have GFCI protection. 210.8(D)(6).

I dont think the NEC applies to an electrician's house ;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
That was the way I did it in my previous house as well. Now I depend on a transportable generator to keep everything we absolutely have to have working supplied with power. But since that is a manual system maybe I should install an eductor back up at this house to. I have a fairly large battery array to keep my radio equipment running during an outage but I certainly wouldn't need it to do that if I was not here to operate the radios. I could set the battery bank output to change over to a back up sump pump. I'll have to do the consumption calculation and think about that. They're Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries so they maintain a fairly constant output until they reach 90 percent of their theoretical capacity. Then the voltage curve falls off a cliff.
Agree an eductor is a reliable option