Support means

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster

Where metallic conduit passes through a bored concrete wall, or any wall for that matter, could this be considered a (sole) means of support? Where in the code does it reference this?

barbeer

I don't know that I understand the question? I could see not needing support any closer than 10' from where conduit passes thru a wall but that should not be the ONLY support.

chipster

Support means

I realize that the requirement for support means for EMT is 10' max., but our facility's local standards call out for 7' centers. We have a situation where a conduit is entering from the outside through a core-drilled concrete wall. Our electrician is counting the entrance through the opening as a means of support to satisfy the 7' requirement. I am inclined to agree with him if he grouts around the wireway to fill the hole. He said that any opening through a wall is considered support to the run. I am thinking of support as a listed and approved strap or clamp etc. Does it mention that somewhere in code?

barbeer

358.30 (B) for EMT other types of conduit have their own sections, look for "securing and supporting" I would consider a poured wall kind of a framing member.

allenwayne

Is emt passing through a bored hole in concrete any different than Nm passing through lets say a fire block and not being stapled within the required distance from the actual box.To me a bored hole in structrual lumber constitutes secured,as long as within the given ins. from the box.

Ducking for cover and looking for those stones I know are going to be thrown :)

tkb

chipster said:
I am thinking of support as a listed and approved strap or clamp etc. Does it mention that somewhere in code?

Supports do not have to be listed or approved.

mdshunk

Paul B said:
I know guys who use rebar tie wire to attach conduit to bar joists.
I have seen that method many times. I don't like it, but it must pass. Matter of fact, a conduit passing perpendicular through bar joists, resting on the bottom chord with no additional hardware, is "supported".

Paul B

mdshunk said:
I have seen that method many times. I don't like it, but it must pass. Matter of fact, a conduit passing perpendicular through bar joists, resting on the bottom chord with no additional hardware, is "supported".
Yea I see it to. Looks like heck. But like you say it must pass.

tkb

Why would tie wire have to be galv?

Uncoated tie wire is steel as well as the conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.