Support of romex

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Once upon a time, Romex was allowed above a commercial dropped ceiling. We don't know when the original installation was.
It is possible the Romex can stay, being an existing compliant installation. Just saying.

Ron
I will always eat crow when I am wrong. Pat75, I am wrong, I recalled, incorrectly that Romex wasn't allowed in the late 1900's above a ceiling. I now see where the grandfather clause applies. So I should have known... Sorry. Again, celling wires with ty wraps are likely to be the cheapest fastest way to secure the cables.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It appears that prior to the 2002 Code it was allowed above a suspended ceiling but required to follow the building surface.
In 2002 is was prohibited as an "open run" above a suspended ceiling and in 2005 prohibited above a suspended ceiling altogether.
With that in mind I agree the best option would be ask the inspector what he wants.

Pat75

Occupation
Electrician
Exactly. This romex was put in YEARS ago.
I ended up using J hooks on new independent ceiling wire. Also used J hooks along the walls. Worked great and everyone was happy.
Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate ALL the comments. I always learn something on Mike's site. This time I learned that I need to FOCUS on the question asked by the OP.... jus sayin. :)
Thanks tovall!!

kwired

Electron manager
Unless I missed it, you haven't told us what you have to work with other than there is a fair amount of NM cable above the ceiling that isn't very well supported.

Is it laying on the ceiling tile/grid?

What kind of structural ceiling is there to possibly secure it to?

I also agree it shouldn't effect what you have done, though the EI probably can demand it be fixed - but should not go against the permit for what you have done. This should put it between owner and EI and you being possible person the owner chooses to have do something about it - under a new permit for new scope of work.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Unless I missed it, you haven't told us what you have to work with other than there is a fair amount of NM cable above the ceiling that isn't very well supported.

Is it laying on the ceiling tile/grid?

What kind of structural ceiling is there to possibly secure it to?

I also agree it shouldn't effect what you have done, though the EI probably can demand it be fixed - but should not go against the permit for what you have done. This should put it between owner and EI and you being possible person the owner chooses to have do something about it - under a new permit for new scope of work.
Did you just not read the post before yours?
OP said he got it!