Supporting MC Feeder Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

OK, we've never really used MC as a feeder before (conduit type of guy)...but we are on a project where we will be using some...

now my question....what's the best way to support it?

the current setup it is that it will be mounted under the balcony of a theater. We are running perpendicular to the beams - approximately 8' apart.

Our total run is about 100'

we will run 5 conductors for about 20'
then 3 will continue for another 50'
and then 1 will continue to the the final 30'

in the future, we will be adding at least 1 more for the entire length.

the cables range from 4-#3&G to 4-4/0&G

so, what has everyone had success with?
cable tray? beam clamps/cowboys? smack ons?

peter d

For multiple runs of the heavy MC feeder cable, usually I see a cheap rack made up of the L-shaped slotted channel...not sure what the trade name for it is. Then the cable is laid on top of the rack then tyrapped on with the heavy duty tie raps. For a single run, I imagine large ty-raps mounted to beam clamps should suffice.

But just shooting from the hip here...I've never run the stuff. For anything large heavy duty hardware seems prudent.

mdshunk

Strap it to 1x1 angle iron that't held onto the beams with beam clamps. Cheapest way I know about. I've strapped it to empty 3/4" EMT already before too.

wawireguy

Wouldn't have the code support issues with EMT. Might droop with 8' between supports though. Maybe pull MC on top of the red iron if that's what it has. Use beam clamps and mineralcs on top of the iron and then a strut rack in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.