supporting multiple conduits aligned vertically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overtime

a trapeze or rack will sufficiently support multiple conduits ran above ceiling and aligned horizontally. But what is the typical way to support multiple conduits above ceiling that are aligned vertically, and not on the wall, in other words, the conduits are not ran along a wall but all ran a distance away from any wall and are aligned vertically. What way may all thread be used to provide some support or what way or design could be used to support these multiple conduits that are aligned vertically, andinl other word. ..say a half dozen conduits and sort of stacked on top of each other with distance/space in between of course.?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Will you be able to avoid having couplings in the vertical part of the run?
If the conduits are running parallel a unistrut cross piece may help. If you are concerned about horizontal movement you may be able to run s horizontal or diagonal all thread to a wall or another point on the ceiling or tray.
If you have couplings and ate concerned about vertical support, then unistrut and all thread to the top, just below the couplings, might work.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
a trapeze or rack will sufficiently support multiple conduits ran above ceiling and aligned horizontally. But what is the typical way to support multiple conduits above ceiling that are aligned vertically, and not on the wall, in other words, the conduits are not ran along a wall but all ran a distance away from any wall and are aligned vertically. What way may all thread be used to provide some support or what way or design could be used to support these multiple conduits that are aligned vertically, andinl other word. ..say a half dozen conduits and sort of stacked on top of each other with distance/space in between of course.?
Use a trapeze... only rather than putting all thread through the strut, attach two-hole, 90? angle brackets with nuts and bolts instead, and then run the all thread through the other bracket hole.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Use a trapeze... only rather than putting all thread through the strut, attach two-hole, 90? angle brackets with nuts and bolts instead, and then run the all thread through the other bracket hole.

That was my thought at first, but then I figured conduit hanging from the strut if not directly centered under the allthread above will cause the allthread to try and bend to a slight angle.

I'd probably be inclined to build a horizontal trapeze with a vertical strut T'ed off it. This way the allthread is simply under tension and has no forces trying to move it laterally. This would also help installing pipe as it would give you something to set the conduit on while you install it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That was my thought at first, but then I figured conduit hanging from the strut if not directly centered under the allthread above will cause the allthread to try and bend to a slight angle. ....
Not enough to matter usually. The vertical conduit, strapped to strut will add resistance to the all thread "leaning"... even more so with multiple "rungs". But for the sake of minimizing, use strut nuts (aka spring nuts) and attach brackets to open side of strut. This will put the vertical conduit runs almost in line with the all thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.