Supporting wireway detail

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I am drawing up plans for wireway runs...

Does anybody have a wireway support detail for horizontal and vertical runs?

Not really sure the materials and how supported with unistrut. All it needs is unistrut, threaded rods, and bolts? that's it?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
How will it be mounted, opening facing, down, up, or to the side?
Not sure what you mean by opening facing down up or to the side.

Do you mean which sides will the wires be accessible? If so then:

Vertical wireways will have wires accessible in the front
horizontal wireways will have wires accessible from all sides.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Vertical wireways will have wires accessible in the front
horizontal wireways will have wires accessible from all sides.
A standard wireway has only one side with a removable cover. On a horizontal run which way will the opening face with the cover removed? If it's facing up then you will need strut to make a " trapeze" to support it from the bottom. If it's facing down then you can just hang it on rod without the strut.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
A standard wireway has only one side with a removable cover. On a horizontal run which way will the opening face with the cover removed? If it's facing up then you will need strut to make a " trapeze" to support it from the bottom. If it's facing down then you can just hang it on rod without the strut.
Got it, thanks.

I think it's better for the horizontal wireway to be accessible from the top. Is there any detail out that that I can use? not sure how to hang it without a strut using just a rod

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Got it, thanks.

I think it's better for the horizontal wireway to be accessible from the top. Is there any detail out that that I can use? not sure how to hang it without a strut using just a rod
If the removable cover opening is on top then you would just make a trapeze with a section of strut on the bottom and two rods. Similar to hanging a rack of conduit.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If the removable cover opening is on top then you would just make a trapeze with a section of strut on the bottom and two rods. Similar to hanging a rack of conduit.
do I need to screw the trapeze section onto the wireway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
do I need to screw the trapeze section onto the wireway?
For a horizontal application IMO no. The NEC requires securing for a vertical support.
376.30(A) Horizontal Support.
Wireways shall be supported where run horizontally at each end and at intervals not to exceed 1.5 m (5 ft) or for individual lengths longer than 1.5m (5 ft) at each end or joint, unless listed for other support intervals. The distance between supports shall not exceed 3 m (10 ft).

376.30(B) Vertical Support.
Vertical runs of wireways shall be securely supported at intervals not exceeding 4.5 m (15 ft) and shall not have more than one joint between supports. Adjoining wireway sections shall be securely fastened together to provide a rigid joint.