Surface mount metallic gang boxes permitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

Are metallic gang boxes with knockouts allowed to be surface mounted?

I figure it may violate it's UL listing, but do not have any reference. I looked in Article 314 but my mind is drawing a blank.

I find a few of these surface mounted around our facilities. These are old and prolly been installed for a long time.

These are the types I'm talking about: (Can't post images on work machine)

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-print/larger-image.aspx?prodNo=4034

renosteinke

There is absolutely no reason you cannot use such boxes in a relatively clean, dry area. Indeed, their use for surface mounting is quite routine.

That said, anything can be installed in an incorrect or unsafe manner. Yet, just because someone makes a commercial product for a use - in this case I am thinking of "Wiremold" - there is no reason you cannot continue to 'DIY' with ordinary components.

I'll even carry this to an extreme, and tell you up front: I am in the process of reconstructing a house, and I am giving serious thought to having nearly all of the household wiring 'surface mounted,' using those components. (Doing so will greatly simplify insulation and vapor barrier issues in the outside walls).

Hendrix

There is absolutely no reason you cannot use such boxes in a relatively clean, dry area. Indeed, their use for surface mounting is quite routine.

That said, anything can be installed in an incorrect or unsafe manner. Yet, just because someone makes a commercial product for a use - in this case I am thinking of "Wiremold" - there is no reason you cannot continue to 'DIY' with ordinary components.

I'll even carry this to an extreme, and tell you up front: I am in the process of reconstructing a house, and I am giving serious thought to having nearly all of the household wiring 'surface mounted,' using those components. (Doing so will greatly simplify insulation and vapor barrier issues in the outside walls).
And it will look sooooooo purdy:D

lakee911

:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?

If you're so concerned, try closed cell foam, or put your vapor barrier behind the boxes and seal up penetrations well. Use 2x6s if you want better R value...

jwjrw

That is not what I call a gangable box. That is a shallow 4 Sq or 1900 where I am. A gangable box is a metal cut in box where you take one side off and make 2,3, 4,5 gang boxes. We surface mount them ALL the time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is not what I call a gangable box. That is a shallow 4 Sq or 1900 where I am. A gangable box is a metal cut in box where you take one side off and make 2,3, 4,5 gang boxes. We surface mount them ALL the time.

I agree this is not gangable. These are gangable. The image you show is meant for surface mount but can also be recessed with proper covers.

6641179.jpg

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
A couple fasteners through the back wall of a ganged assembly of metal wall cases, where the fasteners are securely anchored to the wall surface material, is arguable more secure than the plaster ear / box support / floating install of the same ganged assembly.

Edit to say: I just registered that the link in the OP is for a 4 x 4 (1900 box). Those are certainly surface mountable.

Last edited:

jwjrw

I should of said we surface mount 4 sq's all the time. Never seen a gangable box surface mounted.:D

WorkSafe

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies! Someone started making a fuss because originally they had these types of boxes attached to flexible cords and we put a quick stop to that, but then someone asked why it was allowed to be surface mounted.

Again, thank you!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Do what I did. Drill through the plates only. No wires (holes) in the exterior studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.