Surge arrestors vs TVSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Review Article 280 and compare to Article 285. You will discover key differences such as permitted installation locations, ratings, and device types...

ryan_618

This isn't one of my better areas, but I beleive one of the main differences is that surge arrestors can be located before the service disconnect, whereas TVSS must be after the service disconnect.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ryan thats correct for now, but I seem to recall a 2008 proposal that will combine the two articles, then the devices will be marked as to where they can go.
The surge arrestors are less common, as they are difficult to install without having two wires under one lug.

dereckbc

Staff member
ryan_618 said:
This isn't one of my better areas, but I beleive one of the main differences is that surge arrestors can be located before the service disconnect, whereas TVSS must be after the service disconnect.
That is the main difference. The other is bells and whistles. Surge arrestors are just primarily a single type of SPD technoloy like gas tubes in a plain paper sack so to speak. TVSS usually (at least the better ones) have at least two SPD types like gas tube and MOV, larger capacity, more modes, alarms, lights, etc.

gndrod

TVSS power strips used in residential I believe are only L-N, L-G, & N-G wired whereas the service entrance Surge arrester is L-N wired and not interchangeable as a TVSS hookup. This statement may be incorrect due to the newer hybrid configurations coming available for the front end service interface. The common let-through Voltage ratings set the SE Surge (600v) appart from the Point-of-use 330v TVSS. I may be a bit out of touch on arrester and suppression advancements and any inputs would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.