Surge protection device

pnosal

Occupation
Electricain - Owner
I installed SDP for the subpanel in the pool house. After I turned on the pool pump, it fried. I called the manufacturer, but they told me this was not SPD. We have been installing their products for a long time and have never had any problems. The pump was working before I turned everything off. The pump is at the GFCI breaker. All the UV filters are fine.
SPD or pump issue?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Was the SPD the type that is a breaker with the load attached to it? Not that it matters, but that might be what the SPD vendor, or mfg, is blaming it on.

pnosal

Occupation
Electricain - Owner
I don't see how installing a surge protector could fry the pump. I wouldn't think the pump circuit would be altered in any way during the surge protector installation.

We installed hundreds of the SPD from this manufacturer. Newer had any problems.

pnosal

Occupation
Electricain - Owner
Was the SPD the type that is a breaker with the load attached to it? Not that it matters, but that might be what the SPD vendor, or mfg, is blaming it on.

What was the condition of the pump on arrival?

Saying the pump fried is vague. What happened when power was restored to the pump?
Pump was working before SPD installation.
This is 120v pump. It was working for over minute, than smoke started coming from it.
The voltage was correct, dedicated GFCI breaker.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10