Surge Protector Troubleshooting

jbellino

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello gents,

I'm wondering if any of you have advice about troubleshooting surge protectors, as I really don't have experience troubleshooting these things. I'm in a rental house in FL and have had problems with electronics on the dishwasher and microwave/oven range combo burning out more than once. I checked if there was space on the main panel for a surge protector, but as it turns out there's already one installed (picture attached).

It doesn't look like it in the picture, but the green indicator light (supposed to indicate proper functioning) is in fact on. It's fully seated on the upper left side of the panel, and the neutral is connected properly. Voltages in the panel look good, so no suspected lost neutral from the utility with subsequent overvoltage problems.

My first thought is to just try replacing the surge protector despite the green indicator still being on, but I wanted to do my homework before proposing it to the property management company. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240525_191335~2.jpg
    20240525_191335~2.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 10

jbellino

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why's that?
I'll also tack a question onto this for clarification: are you talking about loose/lost neutrals in a MWBC, or are you saying that main panel surge protection doesn't work for MWBCs in general?

I'll add that of course the oven range is on a MWBC and the dishwasher is not. Both are having trouble with electronics getting fried, so that leads me to believe it's not a problem with the neutrals on the branch circuit side.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Why's that?
I believe the SP is for short time. Bad neutral connections would be long term.

I'll also tack a question onto this for clarification: are you talking about loose/lost neutrals in a MWBC, or are you saying that main panel surge protection doesn't work for MWBCs in general?

I'll add that of course the oven range is on a MWBC and the dishwasher is not. Both are having trouble with electronics getting fried, so that leads me to believe it's not a problem with the neutrals on the branch circuit side.
I would suspect a neutral issue for the control electronics repeatedly failing. You will need to get voltage readings at the appliance while they are in operation.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Mike holt once said regarding SPDS “you get what you pay for, and more is better”
An SPD breaker will not offer the same protection IE what’s inside it, as a seperate SPD mounted at the service panel. I have a Leviton at my panel, and 7 SPDs scattered through in branch circuits

jbellino

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you all for your input. Now I'm wondering if there is a bad or weak neutral connection on the utility side that cuts out periodically, since I did read correct voltage from phase to neutral in the main panel, and since I'm seeing this same problem on different circuits. I can tighten the neutral feeders on the main and sub panels and have the utility company come to check out the service neutral connection.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thank you all for your input. Now I'm wondering if there is a bad or weak neutral connection on the utility side that cuts out periodically, since I did read correct voltage from phase to neutral in the main panel, and since I'm seeing this same problem on different circuits. I can tighten the neutral feeders on the main and sub panels and have the utility company come to check out the service neutral connection.
Short of putting in a recording power quality monitor, that is probably your best way forward.
Possibly putting a peak catching AC voltmeter on one phase and leaving for awhile.