Surge Protectors on House panels

kkyyllee

Occupation
building inspector
I do not see any language in the code text that would exempt non-dwelling loads. If there is a service supplying dwelling units the service shall be protected or each next level distribution equipment. 230.67 B Exception does not offer any exemptions for loads not serving the dwelling units.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I do not see any language in the code text that would exempt non-dwelling loads. If there is a service supplying dwelling units the service shall be protected or each next level distribution equipment. 230.67 B Exception does not offer any exemptions for loads not serving the dwelling units.

I have to admit I agree with this. Although the house panel doesn't serve a dwelling unit, 230.67 isn't written in a way that that matters. Moreover, reading the substantiation, it applies equally to, say, smoke detectors in the common areas of a building with dwellings. (Now, if a surge damages the fire alarm systems at your workplace, I guess you're SOL.)

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess I’m assuming that OP is working off the 2023 code since his inspector is insisting that each apartment have a SPD, rather than just one for the service.

N 215.18 Surge Protection.

(A) Surge-Protective Device.
Where a feeder supplies any of the following, a surge-protective device (SPD) shall be installed:

(1) Dwelling units

(2) Dormitory units

(3) Guest rooms and guest suites of hotels and motels

(4) Areas of nursing homes and limited-care facilities used exclusively as patient sleeping rooms

The area served by the house panel wouldn’t fit any of those definitions IMO.

I guess it depends on whether or not the Service has a SPD on it. If he installed an SPD on the house panel that would cover “each next level distribution” per the exception. If theres a SPD already part of the service I suppose I would still argue he doesn’t need one on his house panel.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I guess I’m assuming that OP is working off the 2023 code since his inspector is insisting that each apartment have a SPD, rather than just one for the service.

Where a feeder supplies any of the following, a surge-protective device (SPD) shall be installed:

(1) Dwelling units

(2) Dormitory units

(4) Areas of nursing homes and limited-care facilities used exclusively as patient sleeping rooms

I guess it depends on whether or not the Service has a SPD on it. If he installed an SPD on the house panel that would cover “each next level distribution” per the exception. If theres a SPD already part of the service I suppose I would still argue he doesn’t need one on his house panel.
So the question may be what code article applies to the OP, 230 for service or 215 for feeders?

kkyyllee

Occupation
building inspector

(1) Dwelling units

(2) Dormitory units

Thank you I did not realize that surge protection is addressed in 215 as well in 2023 NEC. Luckily we have some time in CA to have a clear understanding of this.

kkyyllee

Occupation
building inspector
So under 2023 NEC both 230.67 and 215.18 must be satisfied?
SPD @ the service + SPD at the load side of each feeder serving a dwelling unit or SPD at each distribution panel (Regardless of occupancy)

Under 2020 NEC a single SPD at the service would satisfy 230.67 or a SPD at each distribution panel (Regardless of occupancy)

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So under 2023 NEC both 230.67 and 215.18 must be satisfied?
SPD @ the service + SPD at the load side of each feeder serving a dwelling unit or SPD at each distribution panel (Regardless of occupancy)

Under 2020 NEC a single SPD at the service would satisfy 230.67 or a SPD at each distribution panel (Regardless of occupancy)
This is basically how I am seeing it. What code is OP on? and if it’s 2020 is there a SPD at the service or is he going for the exception to 230.67(b)